Model-dependant realism

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DF96 and Sy, I guess I am flattered that you both find my modest intellect so threatening.

The amplifier is part of a system to reproduce sounds, sorry my English is too fast and loose for you. An amplifier cannot make any sounds unless part of a system.

The moral of my little story was just an observation that we have really only ventured down a few paths for audio reproduction.

First it was the human voice and instruments, then we had the Edison / Victrola mechanical era which ended up in direct competition with the radio (electronics) which transitioned into a hybrid technology of the two with the mechanical records and electronic amplifiers. Now most of use primarily electronics for reproduction models.

H E Pennypacker said:
DF96 and Sy, I guess I am flattered that you both find my modest intellect so threatening.
I wasn't aware that I should feel threatened, or is that another word which has temporarily acquired a different meaning?

The moral of my little story was just an observation that we have really only ventured down a few paths for audio reproduction.

First it was the human voice and instruments,
Strange. I thought that the human voice and instruments are not reproducing audio, but producing it. Has 'reproduction' also changed its meaning?

Now most of use primarily electronics for reproduction models.
Last time I looked I found that loudspeakers are electromechanical objects. Pure electronics is good at processing signals but poor at interfacing with people.

I think multiplying realities when explanatory models overlap is the wrong way to go. A better option is simply to acknowledge that reality is far more complex, dynamic, and open-ended than our idealized theoretical models are able to adequately capture.

( p.s. I'm still mulling over the earlier post about citations. I'm not sure if most would see the relevance and I'm a little reluctant about bringing the other aspects of my life into these kinds of casual social interactions.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.