Modding Parasound Halo A21

This is not an input selector. This is an input configuration selector. The switch only configures the internal circuitry for balanced or unbalanced operation, leaving both XLR and RCA plugs connected to the amp input. So if you leave both plugs connected, your sources definitely influence each other in a bad way - you have them paralleled directly.

So, yes - only one of them should be connected. Either, or...

Last edited:
If you want to change to A21 for the best, learn to adjust the output bias (pots) current and push it up until the heatsinks get too hot to touch, OR the overtemp protection kicks in. Of course, keep the heatsinks off the rug, and allow free air circulation. I have actually used 'Whisper' fans on occasion to minimize overheating. The smallest fan (hopefully quiet) can make a big difference. Still air is not a good heat conductor.

Assuming I keep the amp away from the carpet and the cat, what are the downsides to pushing up the bias on my 1 1/2 year old A21?

Hi Folks,

Just a quick semi-offtopic Q, Does anyone here know the correct bias settings for the Halo JC1 in both High, and Low - bias settings. I can't seem to get an answer from the company, and my trio of JC1's are all running at wildly varying temperatures. Thanks all!

I have had a look at the bias on my recently acquired A21 after noticing just how much cooler it runs than my HCA2200ii. I was surprised to find that the bias setting voltage (across the emitter resistor) was very similar to the 2200, I measured 18mv one side and 22mv the other. I then, as carefully as possible, adjusted the pot to give 24mv each side. I was surprised to find that this made very little difference to the heat sink temperature, I was rather hoping for a bit more. I am now reticent to increase this again incase there is something I do not understand with the biasing method, however I am interested to do so because there are aspects of the 2200 performance which I feel the A21 does not match. (I was working on bias setting advice that was applicable to the 2200, assuming it would be a similar scheme to the A21). Could anyone say what setting to go for to put the A21 into a safe high bias mode? John suggesting increasing the bias until the amp is approaching its thermal protection limit, has anyone tried this and establish a figure?

I have had a look at the bias on my recently acquired A21 after noticing just how much cooler it runs than my HCA2200ii. I was surprised to find that the bias setting voltage (across the emitter resistor) was very similar to the 2200, I measured 18mv one side and 22mv the other. I then, as carefully as possible, adjusted the pot to give 24mv each side. I was surprised to find that this made very little difference to the heat sink temperature, I was rather hoping for a bit more. I am now reticent to increase this again incase there is something I do not understand with the biasing method, however I am interested to do so because there are aspects of the 2200 performance which I feel the A21 does not match. (I was working on bias setting advice that was applicable to the 2200, assuming it would be a similar scheme to the A21). Could anyone say what setting to go for to put the A21 into a safe high bias mode? John suggesting increasing the bias until the amp is approaching its thermal protection limit, has anyone tried this and establish a figure?

I'd be interested in a figure to shoot for too. Or even a temp.

If you want to change to A21 for the best, learn to adjust the output bias (pots) current and push it up until the heatsinks get too hot to touch, OR the overtemp protection kicks in. Of course, keep the heatsinks off the rug, and allow free air circulation. I have actually used 'Whisper' fans on occasion to minimize overheating. The smallest fan (hopefully quiet) can make a big difference. Still air is not a good heat conductor.

Parasound A21 owner here and I really like it.

I'm thinking of adjusting the pots to say heatsinks 40C on 23C ambient. What value should be the voltage on the output resistors so I do not go over the edge with it. Average x mv? I see there are some fellows with the same question so we'd appreciate some support here.

Last edited:
Well, I took the hard approach with a wattmeter measuring wattage at the inlet, increased each channel by roughly 25W watching the wattmeter closely as I turned the pots.

Both heatsinks measure roughly 31C now (21C ambient) with a digital thermometer. So far so good. I won't go higher as the consumption is now 130W and I have bills to pay.

As for the difference is close to none. Piega P10 speakers here.

Hi. On mine the main reservoir capacitors have been replaced with Rubycon 18000uf/100V. Can anybody help me with the physical size of the original capacitors? Like diameter/height, snap-in or screw type? I'm planning to order new caps from Mouser and take it to my repair man.

Hi. On mine the main reservoir capacitors have been replaced with Rubycon 18000uf/100V. Can anybody help me with the physical size of the original capacitors? Like diameter/height, snap-in or screw type? I'm planning to order new caps from Mouser and take it to my repair man.
Hi, can you please contact me? I'm also looking to adjust bias on A21. I got 2 units!