Mod CD/LD players with digital coaxial output - need help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mooly,
Thanks for the reply & the feedback.
I only hear the clicking sound when I’m near the DAC. I don’t hear them thru’ the headphone that’s connected to the DAC. I don’t recall hearing this clicking sound when my DAC is connected to a DVD player that has got a built-in coaxial digital output.
I think there’s some kind of latching going on, on the board inside the DAC.
I guess I’ll go ahead & mod the Kwak clock on my CD player while leaving this circuit (TTL to SPDIF) on my LD player.

I suspect that although the resistors are in series, they do give an effective output impedance of 75 ohms, which is the correct impedance for S/PDIF coax.

As for the clock stuff... whatever oils your snake. :) I'd expect most DACs from the last decade or so should have some anti-jitter stuff built-in, like an ASRC (asynchronous sample-rate converter) (like that nice chip AD made that also acted as an S/PDIF receiver).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:) Mea culpa

Never played around with clocks. I always feel the idea is sound, but could be let down in the implementation. If the new clock ends up a few centimeters away from its destination the overall result could be worse. Correct grounding of all the relevant parts that make it up become important to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.