mMar-Kel70 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Doggy's bevel of 60 degrees (relative to the baffle) is likely not as effective as 45 degrees... 45 halves the 90 degree corner of a rectangular box (and is the angle used ny Olson in his work)

Ideally one have a decreasing radius, so if one were to go to town, and had a wide enuff baffle, you'd have a multifaceted bevel, for instance, 30 degrees, 45 degrees, 60 degrees, then a side perpendicular side, followed with a taper to create a narrower back.

dave

Olson and Murphy

I have learned a little about deffraction and baffle step loss, which i presume is the lower frequency, placement of the driver on the baffle and response ripple. I had a Clairtone stereo which had spherical black globes air suspension speakers, the ideal? shape. So can you say a sharp or typical edge will cause more ripple than a 45 deg edge or a rounded edge at the baffle? The EL70 has good bass already in the 13L Mar-Kel and it really is a well braced cabinet. I have read a lot of the info. on the Planet10 site-very good source. Will 45 the front baffle:D

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So can you say a sharp or typical edge will cause more ripple than a 45 deg edge or a rounded edge at the baffle?

Yes. The clairtones, if like the ones i have, have significant discontinuities as it gets to the edge, so you get none of the advantages of a sphere, and most of its problems.

The characteristics of how diffraction affects the sound is dependent on the size of the wavelength in relation to the size of the discontinuity. At very low frequency we have steo loss. At very high frequency, when the waveform hits a discntinuity ("sharp" corner), it reradiates as a secondary source. behaviour transitions from one extreme to the other, and as can be seen in Olson Pg 23, the shape determines the naturn of the ripple. In a sh=phere (or better yet a teradrop shape) it transitions very smoothly, a cylinder (driver mounted on the end) will have severe ripple. A rectangular box with big champhers is almost as smooth as a sphere and a whole lot easier to make with typical panel construction.

dave

CSS EL70 pleasure

Doggy's bevel of 60 degrees (relative to the baffle) is likely not as effective as 45 degrees... 45 halves the 90 degree corner of a rectangular box (and is the angle used ny Olson in his work) Planet10

:D I re-did the front bevel to 45 deg. it is also partly 60 at the back edge; also beveled top and bottom edges to 45.

Also after a while I added more stuffing to limit the excursion of the driver; I am impatient and needed to let these break in a bit more but now am listening to my music through them...and enjoying; thanks Dave for the recomendation of the CSS EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.