MLTL for "Hemptone" FR8? Pretty Please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Due to the new thread that has been posted about Hemp's "non pure Hemp" construction I'm thinking not to buy a Hemp driver ,yet. I'll wait until the company will standarize their products......

So what about a wide baffle MLTL with FE207? Or MJK's MLTL?
I need bass that's why I have stucked with an 8". If you believe that I'll have enough bass with a 6.5" and better mids than the 207, not a problem..... please help!
I CAN"T DECIDE WHAT TO BUILD :rolleyes:

Scott,
Do you believe that my room has a pretty decent size for a BIB?

Heck yes! You've a choice really -6 1/2in or 8in units, though I'd limit the height of the cabinet in both cases to 70in or you might things a little lively. And they'll cream any MLTL on dynamics, which FR drivers can always use a helping hand with.

FWIW, I'd probably go with the FE168ESigma. Use the Sl dimensions I posted on the Zilla site, but increase line length to 138in (70 in tall cabinet) and Zdriver to 30in. Job done. I love the FF165K too, but it's better suited to smaller rooms, so the Sigma would be my choice of 6 1/2in driver for your environment. Alternatively, if you want an 8in driver, the FE207E, again same height & driver position as mentioned above, with the Sl dimension off the Zilla site should be OK.

Greets!

So many choices, so little time. :sigh:

If you have a closet you have a big enough space since a pipe horn has gobs of tuning flexibility, though obviously you reach a point of diminishing returns WRT usable Fp. Anyway, ideally you'll put them in the corners of a 10 ft wall and sit ~15.45 ft away. With no major room gain kicking in until the 20s, I'd stick with the 8", though all things considered, one of the HE versions seems a better choice.

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Build a Hemp in a BIB was my first choice. But when I realize that I need a cab around 20" deep (minimum) I thought that they're too big for my room.
Also, the distance btw the drivers will be around 5.5-6ft.
I'd like to place them as far as possible..........
Now my ME2 (ariel) are at 6.6ft.

Well, the hempster might be a trifle large, aesthetically speaking. That's a taste thing though. OTOH, the Fostex 8in range don't need such a big enclosure, so the 206/7 or even the 208ESigma (with additional supertweeter as it's a WR rather than FR unit) should suit you nicely & they've loads of excursion too. Fostex have not built up their formidable reputation by building poor drivers. ;) Follow GM's advice -believe me, he, er, knows what he's talking about. And then some. :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
:rolleyes: Ok what do you say to go with the FE207? (or the 206? - which arethe differences?)
Not a too big BIB and a good choice for an 8in.
Also if I can live with them in my room I can go with bigger ones in the future. ;)
Hemp's are good as said but with what is going on right now with the cone materials I'm a little bit afraid to buy them.
I'll wait for a Tone Tuby........... :D

P.S.: We got a little bit out of topic in this thread. I'll post new messages in the BIG TC's BIB thread................
Sorry to the author :angel:

Greets!

Well, I recommended a HE 8" as a compromise between LF output and the 'magic' of a smaller driver's mids/HF, so for Fostex there's only the FE206E, FE206ES-R, FE208ES AFAIK and I don't have any personal experience with these, so you'll have to rely on others for mid/HF performance opinions.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.