MLTL Cabinet for 416-8B

Sorry, for the double posts. I didn't mean for that to happen.:eek:

LineSource,
I am in no hurry. This project will and has already taken time for me to build.
So,your methodology for this build is duly noted.;)

Buzzforb,
BIG is "crystal" just like the musical presentation I heard from Pano's A5 system and yes, they did what they are suppose to do, deliver the goods.:D
These will be downstairs in the basement entertainment room/man cave. So,
plenty of space:)
Westend9's build is really beautiful!
GM's MLTL with 416-8B
:cool:

What will the horns be? I have my old files and measurements and should be able to give you some ideas of possible setups. We can try to match the box to the horn width for a little better integration, looks wise. you realize you are talking 8ft^3. Mine was a folded MLTL....i think. Always get the terms mixed up. I chose expanding as it seemed to produce the least ripple in the response as well as the best impedance curve.

Cambe, ... not in a hurry .... large basement ..... BIG is BEAUTIFUL philosophy ....

Have you given any thought to a 3-way speaker with a well designed sealed cabinet for the 416-8B? Sealed alignments offer: the best transient response; the lowest intermodulation and lowest total distortion; no port noise; AND the opportunity for REAL BASS from REAL WOOFERS.

The 416-8B in a 3cu ft sealed box has an F3 ~72-75Hz with Qtc = 0.7 Butterworth maximal flat alignment which most listeners favor. A 5 cuft sealed box has Qtc = 0.577 minimal ripple Bessel alignment. A 7 cuft sealed box has Qtc = 0.5 critically damped alignment.

Most critical listensers favor a 700-750Hz crossover for the 416-8B

All I want for Christmas is: six HGST Deskstar 4TB disks
You might wish for a 1.4" JMLC 350 HORN

Attachments

• Cambe Xmas.jpg
    Cambe Xmas.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 462
Cambe, ... not in a hurry .... large basement ..... BIG is BEAUTIFUL philosophy ....

Have you given any thought to a 3-way speaker with a well designed sealed cabinet for the 416-8B? Sealed alignments offer: the best transient response; the lowest intermodulation and lowest total distortion; no port noise; AND the opportunity for REAL BASS from REAL WOOFERS.

The 416-8B in a 3cu ft sealed box has an F3 ~72-75Hz with Qtc = 0.7 Butterworth maximal flat alignment which most listeners favor. A 5 cuft sealed box has Qtc = 0.577 minimal ripple Bessel alignment. A 7 cuft sealed box has Qtc = 0.5 critically damped alignment.

Most critical listensers favor a 700-750Hz crossover for the 416-8B

All I want for Christmas is: six HGST Deskstar 4TB disks
You might wish for a 1.4" JMLC 350 HORN

I like this design/thinking. If I were starting from scratch, I might go that way myself. You have Gary Pimm/Lynn Olson's work as your guide. I'd probably opt for the 400hz LC though unless you are dead set on 1st order crossovers as it will help with the top end more than the larger horn.

LineSource -Cambe, ... not in a hurry .... large basement ..... BIG is BEAUTIFUL philosophy ....

Not in a hurry... Because,there is no need to be. Especially when such great information is present to make a tasteful decision.
Large basement... Not really, just big enough.
BIG is Beautiful philosophy...I meant, yes I know that the speakers are big but,the musical presentation they produced was beautiful ( Pano's A5's).
philosophy... :confused:
Until now, no I haven't given any thought about a 3-way speaker with a well designed sealed cabinet. So, I will be contacting you about your proposal more in detail.
Cool stuff.
HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS HDD Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
My Christmas wish is to be in the right Spirit, Mind and Body. Then, two 1.4 JMLC 350's.;)
Trying to stay OT in this thread.:)
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi GM,

I recently heard Pano's A5's and after hearing them I am collecting parts.:)
So, I will try the mltl enclosure you recommended in post #1.

Greets!

Haven't auditioned Pano's system, but plenty of others including much experimentation with the one's I built and a MLTL's 'tone' won't sound quite the same even if he EQ'd them to be flat and tuned the same since his cab's mid-bass horns alter's the woofer's 'tone' just enough to not sound as 'open' as when it's mounted on the same size flat baffle.

GM

Cambe,

If you decide to construct a 3-way speaker using a sealed cabinet for the 416-8B, you will probably get the best brain-trust support from starting a new thread.

Some info on your room dimensions, support equipment, passive/active , analog/digital Xovers, budget and goals can produce a more optimal design.

Plots on IMD for lo-30Hz vs lo-80Hz.
SPL plot of sealed dual 18" woofers and sealed 416-8B.
Web SPL measurement for the 416-8B which illustrates why 700-750Hz Xovers are often selected.

Attachments

• IMD for 30_750Hz.jpg
    IMD for 30_750Hz.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 406
  • IMD for 80_750Hz.jpg
    IMD for 80_750Hz.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 385
  • Sealed Example.jpg
    Sealed Example.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 377
  • Altec 416B.jpg
    Altec 416B.jpg