MKP caps: are these for real?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Re: Re: MKP caps: are these for real?

Conrad Hoffman said:
I'm probably a bit daft in the head, because as a child I inhaled the sweet smell of burning selenium rectifiers. Nothing quite like 'em. We won't even talk about the mercury experiments.

I'm even dafter. I used to plug selenium rectifiers into the power outlets at school as an incredibly effective stink bomb. :cannotbe: :bigeyes:

QSerraTico_Tico said:
Heat them up with a hair-dryer while measuring capacitance...

Good idea! I think. At least as a comparison.

analog_sa said:

If you can't tell by listening, do you really need to know?

I held them up to my ears, but the dog was snoring too loud to hear anything else. :clown: Do the polyester ones sound like disco?

Seriously, when you're buying them you deserve to know the truth and get what you pay for -- even if you're deaf. Also, a listening test implies building two versions of a project, or swapping parts to compare. That's a lot of additional time & effort. I'd rather just use the ones with better specs, especially when temperature stability is one of those specs. The price difference isn't that much and I'm not manufacturing, so it's easy for me to justify. Your mileage may vary.

..Todd

Re: Re: Re: MKP caps: are these for real?

taj said:

That's a lot of additional time & effort. I'd rather just use the ones with better specs, especially when temperature stability is one of those specs. The price difference isn't that much and I'm not manufacturing, so it's easy for me to justify. Your mileage may vary.

..Todd

Temperature stability? So, it's a non-audio project? In that case my suggestion is irrelevant.

If it is audio and quality is of any consideration i can simply find no justification for Chinese caps. PP or not.

http://www.janson-soft.de/lcmeter/lcmeter.htm

Use google to translate the german, if needed.
This meter is very accurate and can also measure inductances.

I plan to provide a small kit on a my version of this circuit shortly.

Still fighting the battle of trying to use TI's microprosesors... These would make the battery last very long.

It is more accurate on small values than most bridges....

Burn a polyseter shirt to find out what it smells like......

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: MKP caps: are these for real?

analog_sa said:

Temperature stability? So, it's a non-audio project? In that case my suggestion is irrelevant.

If it is audio and quality is of any consideration i can simply find no justification for Chinese caps. PP or not.

Thanks. I appreciate your input.

..Todd

Yeah, I'd be suspicious of claims for unknown brands of any capacitor; best to test.

A quick and dirty method I use to check dielectrics is to charge up the capacitor to a reasonable voltage and let it sit a while, then short the leads (not recommended with large capacitors and very high voltages!) and let the capacitor sit a minute or three (with the leads unshorted!).

Measure the residual voltage. Polypropylene, polystyrene and teflon types will generally measure around a tenth of a volt. Most others will measure at least a few tenths to a volt or more.

Measuring the ESR of film/foil versus metallized film requires more test equipment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.