Miscellaneous designs - Markaudio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, SEAS etc

Hi, noob here with my first build.! I’ve got a pair of 10p’s and I’m leaning toward the Titania enclosure based on some advice given by a friend. My question is; could I use 25mm MDF rather than the 18mm as long as I’m following the internal measurements on the plans? I’ve managed to score a small truck load of 25mm sheets and was hoping to make use of it..!

Cheers
🔫

It’s long been my understanding that as long as critical internal dimensions/volumes are retain, the thickness of construction materials can be varied.
Just keep in mind that whatever you might save in using serendipitously sources 25mm MDF will be offset by your chiropractic and physiotherapy expenses. I’d book a series of treatments for during and two week as after the build. :)

Reactions: 2 users
@chrisb I’d like to think I’m still a fit strapping lad capable of lifting such mass..!! Lol I will note the warning an seek an appropriate practitioner of such relief..!!

@Scottmoose with the Titania design there are 3 port options, do they each have different characteristics? Or just options ?Additionally if I decide to use a specific one must that size be used for all 3 ? And lastly whilst I’m aware this driver will be discontinued thus rendering future designs somewhat useless, I would really like to use a radiators for this design for the rear two ports, if I’m honest they just look better than a port..!! Would that be possible..??

As Scott and Dave have authored far more enclosures than I’m familiar with or built, I’m not sure as to what the size and estimated mass might be of the Titania enclosure fabricated from 25mm MDF, but the name suggests to me we’re not talking one of the baby bookshelf designs. Not wanting to presume anything about your woodworking experience, I’ll just remind you that the average density of MDF is 45 lbs/ cu ft, so if you do some simple math, a 4x8ft sheet of 1” would run around 120lbs, or 3.75lbs /sq ft.
Even if confident that hefting the finished enclosures won’t require a fridge dolly, the slip of even a couple of square foot workpiece on the bench can do interesting things to your toes and fingers.

Not to speak for Scott, I’d imagine he’d opine that you’re free of course to modify any of his modelled or well proven enclosures, just expect unpredictable results, and don’t reference his design.

All that said, great driver,and good luck with whatever project you might undertake.

Jeff, thanks for posting that drawing; like I said, Scott has authorized too many designs for a decrepit old fart like me to keep track of. I’m not inclined to do all the maths, but those aren’t tiny boxes, and done in 25mm MDF would definitely be a workout to fabricate and move about.

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This was probably the ones that broke chris’ back.

tannoy_comp.jpg

But these hurt too:

Phy-HP-8-TQWT.jpg

dave

PHY something or other, and to my ears a bit more colourful and shy above 8K than I’d want to live with.
Actually, upon second thought, I’m just going through a bit of sonic withdrawal after misplacing my 4 year old Oticon digital hearing aids, which are quite frankly a marvel of miniaturization, and were very well EQed to mitigate my upper midrange and high frequency hearing loss, and have come to the realization that some of my critiques of older school wideband such as these, Fostex F200 and others that I experienced at audio shows in the early 2000s era was due to my hearing.
The round over was achieved by a few passes with a Porter Cable 7518 production router fitted with big ast radius bit 1 1/2” IIRC, but that was probably 20yrs ago now, so some details will be fuzzy.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Dave. Pluvia 11 Pensil.

I have a pair of P11s in another speaker that doesn’t get much use; I’m tempted to build a set of Pensils with some nice timber I have been keeping for a to-be-determined project.

I think this would get even more out of them - I’ve been very impressed so far in a tiny cabinet.

Curious - I’ve read that the P11 and MAOP11 are ostensibly the same save for the cone construction.

Would MAOP11s work in a the same Pensil?

And now, at precisely nobody's request ;) but simply because a recent thread inspired me to actually finish something I'd started about 18 months back: a mini Basszilla (or slightly larger Nova-Brio-type-thing if you prefer) for a pair of Pluvia 7HD. Since it needs a handle, I've stuck 'Cirrus' in there for no other reason than I was looking at some Cirrus clouds through the window this afternoon.

Crossover is a 1st order parallel; you may or may not need the input Zobel depending on how 'manly' your amplifier is; because of the electrical separation between the corners of the HP & LP, impedance does peak up at the XO point, so the option is there, and of course you can play with t'filter as desired. In case anybody wonders -I did look at a series filter, but the parallel network gives easier (more) control over the individual units.

Cirrus P7HD semi-dipole.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users