miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some questions

Minidsp team:

First I want to say that his product seems to me to be very good and almost I joust in time for my.
The topic is that I have just spent a lot of money in a good dac and the doubt arises:
How are amplified the analogical exit of his dac?
Can I obtain the analogical pure exit of the dac?.
Can I change the entry of digital to analogical from exterior via some jumper?
This last point is important because if I cannot choose the sound source I will need all boards duplicated.....:(
When I use two minidsp for 3 way estereo both boards share the input signal?
You have foreseen or can recommend some adapter usb i2s?

Thank you in advance...

Alberto.

EQ that overlaps in frequency, but opposite directions

Can it be confirmed that the chip would work just for its EQ, and can be set up to handle effects that overlap in frequency, but in opposite directions?

I have a pair of sub kits with plate amp and XO: but not an ordinary set up, it’s Rythmik’s Servo controlled step up (Rythmik Audio • Servo subwoofer products) that it’d be better to keep as “a whole”, including its XO.

I also have an excellent fullrange driver which has a few quirks in response, including (without going into all the details, when put in a box that’s not unacceptably big), a very big upper bass lower mid hump due to high Q, starting at 500 Hz. (Yes the alignment is not optimal, but as it’s a bump theoretically it can be flattened, and for a couple of reasons I want to try this).

With the intended baffle width, baffle step cuts in about 50-100 Hz below where the hump ends.

If BSC is allowed for this, can the EQ plug ins remove the overlapping affects – the very broad peak, and add BSC that is shelved?

Thanks

Minidsp team:

How are amplified the analogical exit of his dac?
Can I obtain the analogical pure exit of the dac?.
This last point is important because if I cannot choose the sound source I will need all boards duplicated.....:(
You have foreseen or can recommend some adapter usb i2s?

Thank you in advance...

Alberto.

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for your interest in our kits, in answer to your questions here are some comments:

How are amplified the analogical exit of his dac? Can I obtain the analogical pure exit of the dac?

Analog output are unbalanced and you can read specs on the datasheet. Not sure what specs you're looking at so hard to compare. If you want to re-use the high quality DAC outputs of your unit, then you'll have to use I2S.

Currently inputs to the processing of the miniDSP in digital domin can be of 2 types: unbalanced analog or I2S (digital audio) and the toggling happens in the software (not in hardware). There is a workaround using the miniDIGI but have a look on our manual for more info. With the I2S and using the miniDIGI, you can get SPDIF/Optical input/output. Have a look at our product concept and application notes for more info.

Not sure what you imply by duplicated, but basically, you need at least 2 boards to build a 3 or 4 way speaker. (each board are only 2 in by 4 out). See our application note (MiniDSP - Stereo 3/4 way Crossover) for more info.
You can indeed have 2 miniDSP sharing a digital or analog input but that requires more understanding of what you want to do. I think that easiest case could be:
- 1 x miniDIGI to input your source
- 2 x miniDSP to process your stereo 3way
- Analog outputs going to your amps or using I2S out to your DAC IC.

Hope this makes sense, have a look at our forum for more basic info about I2S/similar configs.

DevTeam

Hello Otto88,

In answer to your questions:
Can it be confirmed that the chip would work just for its EQ, and can be set up to handle effects that overlap in frequency, but in opposite directions?
Yes, you can indeed bypass all processing on the path and just use the input/output PEQ or graphic EQ if using the graphic EQ. All LP/HP filtering can be set flat by using the Bypass function.

You can also overlap any combination of PEQ + Low Shelf + High shelf using multiple bands. See the attached picture as an example (though may not fit your application, but just showing how you can overlap a low shelf on band 1 + PEQ with high Q on the band2.

If BSC is allowed for this, can the EQ plug ins remove the overlapping affects – the very broad peak, and add BSC that is shelved?
That one I can't tell for sure because EQ is not a one for all solution as you already know. What I'm just showing you is that the DSP can handle that processing. Whether it will solve your speaker problem, I don't know but don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Hope this helps,

DevTeam

Attachments

• PEQ.JPG
    PEQ.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 273
Hi, is the crossover topology correct as described on this site?
Woofer crossover & offset

Thank you!

Hello Vadi,

Yes we're aware of the work of Linkwitz, having browsed his site many times over the years. Current implementation is 1 signal split to 4 x OUT to keep it flexible since this board is used in a lot of different configurations (some not even using it a crossover, but 1 x 4 driver with eq). Modifying the architecture to get the Linkwitz configuration wouldn't be that hard and something that we could consider in the future depending.

DevTeam

Thanks DevTeam ;)

So the only reason it would not effectively remove the effects, is if the PEQ needed ,exceeded the number of bands? iirc the max is 6?

I could read through the whole thread – but in brief, apart from plugins: what hardware is needed?

And is their progress or likelihood on you sourcing a suitable case?

Cheers

Thanks DevTeam ;)

So the only reason it would not effectively remove the effects, is if the PEQ needed ,exceeded the number of bands? iirc the max is 6?

I could read through the whole thread – but in brief, apart from plugins: what hardware is needed?

And is their progress or likelihood on you sourcing a suitable case?

Cheers

Either exceeding the number of band (max 6 per input + 6 per each output channel) or the fact that maybe your problem is a temporal/phase cancellation issue which wouldn't be solved with EQ...

As for what's required: For a stereo configuration, you'll need:
1 x miniDSP
1 x plug-in (2way PEQ or 2way Advanced)
and an external PSU (e.g. either USB supply or +4.5v to 24Vdc supply)

Hope this info helps

Cases, and forum registration

Thanks again

I’m trying to investigate further

You didn’t respond re cases, either your supply or pointing to some you know folks have used: look good, reasonable $?

So I wanted to search the forum, but with all Registration fields filled in, when I submit Register, all the fields simply clear. This happened several times on this and an earlier day.
I tried both IE 8 and Opera: same result . .

Sorry, if these question have been asked before, but I am a bit lazy to read all the thread...

I am about to order a miniDSP but before I would like to know:
1- I am probably going to by revB because my sound card has a high output voltage.
What if I use an mp3 player (with low ouput) with rev.B ?

2- I will order my miniDSP with probably 2 plugins. If I want to order a 3rd plugin later.
Will it be send by email ?

I am about to order a miniDSP but before I would like to know:
1- I am probably going to by revB because my sound card has a high output voltage.
What if I use an mp3 player (with low ouput) with rev.B ?

2- I will order my miniDSP with probably 2 plugins. If I want to order a 3rd plugin later.
Will it be send by email ?

Good to hear that you're about to be part of the miniDSP community! :)
What output levels are we talking about? Make sure not to confuse Vrms and Vpp or Vmax or a Sound card (most likely a level you won't get close too...) . If you use an MP3 player with RevB, input will be very small on the meter and at the ADC input, therefore not optimal. If you can control gain in your sound card, I'd recommend using RevA, better dynamic working close to the ADC recommended limit, and compatibility with your MP3 player.

As for your plug-in question, downloads of plug-ins are enabled by email (from our site) to give you access to un-limited future upgrades. IN other words, no worries.

Hope this helps

Hello,
My sound card has 3 different settings possible: +4dBu, Consume & 0dBV.
Here is the info about my sound card output:
Peak Analog Output Signal: +14dBu (+4dBu setting),
______________________+6dBV (Consumer setting).
_______________________0dBV (-10dBV setting)

The peak output, in Vrms would be:
+4dBu setting:3.88Vrms (setting at 1.22Vrms)
Consumer setting:1.99Vrms (setting at ?)
-10dBV setting:1Vrms (setting at0.32Vrms)

The lowest peak output would then be 1Vrms.
But, should I consider the peak output or the "setting" output ?

Anyway, I guess you are right if I want a better dynamic I should use revA. It would also allow me to use it with mp3 players.
If I use my sound card I will have to be careful with my output setting or might need a voltage divider...

You'll be perfectly fine with your sound card (board running at the office and in a multiple of configuration with our end users) with similar specs...

Our PCI sound cards (EMU1212) has exactly the same specs and we never had any problems. Just don't set up your card to balanced output, +4dBu setting which is by the way a setting for balanced output (i.e. not meant for the unbalanced input of a miniDSP).

Hope this makes sense.

How long do you expect it might be until we would be able to export a DSP crossover from Sound Easy to a Mini DSP board? This would allow the phase correction I had asked about several months ago.

Perhaps it would be a great idea for the author of Sound Easy and someone at MiniDSP to discuss making their products work together? This could be an awesome comprehensive solution, with the only thing missing being a compact inexpensive ClassD/T high power amp module...

You'll be perfectly fine with your sound card (board running at the office and in a multiple of configuration with our end users) with similar specs...

Our PCI sound cards (EMU1212) has exactly the same specs and we never had any problems. Just don't set up your card to balanced output, +4dBu setting which is by the way a setting for balanced output (i.e. not meant for the unbalanced input of a miniDSP).

Hope this makes sense.

I hope so too! ;)

Order is on the way...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.