miniDSP Flex 8 with Dirac Live. Possible to use Dayton Audio Omnimic v2?

Hi,

I am planning on getting a minidsp Flex 8 with Dirac live. I already have a omnimic from Dayton Audio. So I wanted to find out if somebody has tried it instead of the UMIK? I tried asking minidsp and the answer I got was the recommended mic is the UMIK.

Thanking all in advance.

Oon

Oon, as there’s not been any reply so far, I’ll note that I picked up a Dayton UMM6 this past July to use with REW Mac Mini/ MBP& 2x4HD and it seems to work just fine. Unless DIRAC has some very specific technical requires - which considering it’s often bundled with mid range AV receivers that come with their own rather cheesy little mike, I rather doubt that; it’d be hard to imagine that any model with a calibration file that could be loaded into the measurement / filter generation software you’re using wouldn’t work.

Last edited:
I own a Flex 8 and an SHD.

The miniDSP universe requires one of their mics for Dirac Live to work. I don't think any other mic will be recognized but I admit I never tried.

My subjective opinion is the UMIK-2 does a better Dirac cal than UMIK-1 (I own both).

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting, considering that the measurement / filter generation software I think most commonly used in conjunction with the miniDSP - REW- and the Device Console itself reside within an attached computer. Do folks like myself who’ve successfully incorporated let’s say a 2x4HD for multiple subs or PEQ of speakers with passive XO’s using a UMM6 or similar, and at a later date consider upgrading the same box to DL need to buy a new mike?

I don't know for sure but I think the answer is yes. From the Flex 8 product page:

Attachments

• Flex 8 microphone.jpg
    Flex 8 microphone.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 26
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I own a Flex 8 and an SHD.

The miniDSP universe requires one of their mics for Dirac Live to work. I don't think any other mic will be recognized but I admit I never tried.

My subjective opinion is the UMIK-2 does a better Dirac cal than UMIK-1 (I own both).
I have, and you are correct, no other mic will be recognized when you run Dirac which with MiniDSP products must now be launched from the console. MiniDSP is very specific about this in the user manual. I also have Umik-1 and Umik-2 and like you prefer the Umik-2. I currently have an SHD Studio (digital version only) and previously had a first gen SHD.

Thanks for that confirmation, Kevin. Not necessarily a deal breaker for some folks, but could certainly open up the used market for UMM6, etc. :)

While I’m at it, since I surmise from your comment that the earlier gen SHD was pre DC UI, do you have any comments on the differences between the old and new?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chris,
The current SHD Studio is also pre - DC, and I migrated to DC early this year to the best of my recollection. DC supports all of the SHD variants, but a FW upgrade is required to do so. DC is much easier to use and a lot more stable than the legacy console which I have largely forgotten about. The UI design looks relatively modern whereas the original looked like something from WinXP days.

Here are some examples of current DC console, although only a month old I will confess that I have changed the gains. The SHD manages the cross between the mains and the subs. A modified almost beyond recognition Behringer DCX2496 handles crossover, delay and EQ for the mains which are 3 way. An RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE provides the ADC for analog sources and the DAC for the subs. Digital is handled by an RPI4B configured as an endpoint for Roon, and fed via SPDIF coax to the Studio. (I prefer the external streamer to the Roon Ready streamer in the Studio.)

Bass XO.png

Mains XO.png

Mixer.png

Kevin, thanks for that. I was later to the party than many here - and still on the bunny slopes of the learning curve. To make a long story short, by the time I implemented my 7 or so year old 2x4HD, it required an update to the XMOS firmware, then the installation of DC on my Mac and MBP, so my major hurdle was actually finding community forum tutorials with demonstrations using the new UI - which after only a few hours of diddling about I’m finding to be quite straightforward.
I’m now at the point of trying to decide if a Flex series - either an Eight, or an HTx - would be a logical solution to “imagined problems” with my small home theatre system.
All this from a guy whose mantra for a good part of the past two decades was “less is more” :headbash:

Kevin, just following up on this thread after a few more days of navel gazing and analysis paralysis; I have a few more questions for you that I wonder if we could take offline via PM? Wading through the miniDSP community fora has been a bit of a slog to find answers for my proposed use case.