Mini-Monitor Project Going On

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With regards to the over point Id say you were about rite with your choice. The seas drivers distortion increases around 3-5k, you want to avoid this.

It is benign however and even when fully included, ie you cross after the distortion, it doesnt produce any nasty effects. IMO it can be heard when removed, or should that be not heard???

This is withe xperience with the W15, it undoubtledly sounded better crossed over at 2k rather then 3.5k even though this is a rather large difference, id still recommend lower the higher.

Mine is crossed to a SS97, which is a few steps above the 93 in terms of everything and again IMO matches the SEAS much better.

As the W12 is better in quality then the 93, dont get the wrong the 93 is fantastic if its anything like the 95, but the W12 is better, so naturally you would want to cross higher to give more of the audio spectrum to the better driver, but its gonna be a balancing act between distortion and driver.

Other then that you have got the ingredients to a killer mini loudspeaker, I hope it works out.

Crossover point

Thanks for advice 5th Element

The crossover point is one of my main concern. One thing is sure, I want to supress the cone resonances good AND I want a low order electrical crossover (2nd order max). From early simulations, with two LC notch filters in paralel with the driver and a single inductance, i think i can get good results (almost 3rd order acoustical) but it works better with a low Xover point of 2000 Hz.

I think I could also do a 2nr order electrical with 2 notch filter and raise the Xover point to 2500 but I really dont want to go higher since the distorsion increase and the resonance peaks may be audible...
F

With reagards to the res peaks, if you have them well sorted with notch filters you WONT hear them whatever you do with the other bit of the xover ie filter slope frequency etc. This is when you use a DSP filter to remove the peak, so it may be a little different with passive xovers.

Im refering to using the driver without any crossover here just full range. If you run it full range it sounds unnatural, I actually think they sound quite good including the peak, but unnatural. Applying the notch filter to the driver working full range made it sound like every other driver you have heard without a xover. Only better because there is no cone break up, which usually makes other drivers sound crap without an xover as the breakup makes the sound, ragged and unrefined.

I think the Seas are really good actually. im a big fan:D :D

As long as you have access to measurement software there will be glorious sounds eminating from your listening rooms.! Even without there will be very good sounds produced:D

This is what it's gonna look like

It begin to look like the real thing...

Attachments

• mini-dcp_4345.jpg
    mini-dcp_4345.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 616
DONE!

I finished the enclosures last weekend after a 20 hours sprint. Everything turned out to be really nice. I have designed a first filter using manufacturer curves and calsod to be able to listen to them quickly. I used cheap quality parts. I will make measurements in the next few days and design better filters with good quality parts later.

F

Attachments

• petit iso.jpg
    petit iso.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 474
The sound is really good right from the start, but i feel that it could be better. It is normal considering the low quality parts used for the filters (electrolytic caps, dayton resistors, Solen caps for the tweeter which are OK i guess but not great, etc) Measurements will also be useful as i don't like to rely on manufacturer measurements. Bass is surprising for a small speaker and the most striking detail is the low distorsion. It is really clear on vocals and instruments like saxophone. But there is still lot of place for improvement. Crossover design is the hard part...but it may be fun.
F

Attachments

• petit rearview.jpg
    petit rearview.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 443
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.