Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I have been intrigued by the idea of making cheap, equipment with a good sound for some years. I found some used TC9, did the 0.4 Karlsonator and linked it with one of the better, still cheap tpa 3116d2 boards with an old laptop power supply ( find an old one with enough power, it makes a difference). The icing of the cake became a used active Jamo sub (10", bought for 30 dollars). People seems to sell used subs very cheap.
But how to cut the sub sound from the TC9? I ended to make a phone plug with a 150 nF capacitor in series with the input to the 3116 amplifier as a simple lowpass and made a parallel line to the phono plugs at the sub. I tested it with REW, and adjusted the sub to a reasonable level. The sound is incredibly good. Taking away the burden of the deep sound from the TC9 makes wonders for the sound.
I also made the .54 Karlsonator with two Faitals, but I must say that I prefer the sound of the smaller with one TC9 - supplied by the sub.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok, let me make sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying after adding a sub and cutting low freq, the 0.40 sound better than 0.53 with dual 16Ohm Faitals?

I find that hard to believe. Maybe it has better bass yes. Are you comparing single TC9 driver 0.40 + sub to dual Faital 0.53 without sub?

Please do. I have heard the 0.40 and I have also built 0.53 with dual Fatails. The sound of the 0.40 is very good for it's size, but the 0.53 just sounds bigger to me. And after 6 years, the drivers have run in nicely. It sounds great and mature, almost laid-back.

I'm listening to it now powered by an Amp Camp Amp + IronPre. Even without a DAC, it's very natural sounding. I should really add a sub!

Btw, you should try the Full Range Equalizer. The Karsonators do sound better with it and you won't need the capacitor as filter, because you can adjust the slopes gracefully with caps and resistors.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have been intrigued by the idea of making cheap, equipment with a good sound for some years. I found some used TC9, did the 0.4 Karlsonator and linked it with one of the better, still cheap tpa 3116d2 boards with an old laptop power supply ( find an old one with enough power, it makes a difference). The icing of the cake became a used active Jamo sub (10", bought for 30 dollars). People seems to sell used subs very cheap.
But how to cut the sub sound from the TC9? I ended to make a phone plug with a 150 nF capacitor in series with the input to the 3116 amplifier as a simple lowpass and made a parallel line to the phono plugs at the sub. I tested it with REW, and adjusted the sub to a reasonable level. The sound is incredibly good. Taking away the burden of the deep sound from the TC9 makes wonders for the sound.
I also made the .54 Karlsonator with two Faitals, but I must say that I prefer the sound of the smaller with one TC9 - supplied by the sub.
You mean the 150nF series cap at line level acted as a “high pass” filter for the TC9? The sub output was taken off before the filter?

Yes, the 0.40x has superb soundstage and vocal clarity. With a sub properly integrated with measuremts it makes for a very nice system.

I feel that the 0.4x in foam core and TC9 is perhaps one of the lowest cost and easiest to build DIY speakers that has some amazing sound. It will beat most “box” speakers of the same size.

Reactions: 1 user
You mean the 150nF series cap at line level acted as a “high pass” filter for the TC9? The sub output was taken off before the filter?

Yes, exactly. Sorry for the mistake, obviously high pass. I played with different resistors to make it a "real" high pass filter but that didn't make any real difference, so I believe the input resistance in the 3116 plays that role.
Unfortunately foam core has become more expensive, in Denmark, the cheapest 1000x700 mm costs 27 USD. Still cheaper and easier than much else.

Hi Vitorio,
The P610 has a very soft suspension and large Vas - so requires a large cabinet to reach its full bass extension. It can work in a rather large Karlsonator and even at 0.70x scale, the -3dB is around 67Hz. The response is very smooth though and more like a "PA" response with 95dB sensitivity at 2.83v. It might be very good if assisted with a sub.

attachment.php
image.jpg

It took some time to finish and not really tested by now. Had these china p610 because some crazy horn idea, but then I saw the karlsonator and switch to that design (just build it because I liked the name 🤣).

First test was in living room with B1 + ACA… sound nice - Solti+Wagner sounded good to me…

Thanks for the design idea!

Best regards
F

Hello xrk971, this speaker would be good on which scale of the Karlsonator?
qes 1,158
qms 3,916
qts 0,894
fs 85,46
vas 6,89L
mms 3,9
bl 2,47442
re 3,419
sd 73,5
cms 0,8981 mm/n
dd 96,8
rms 0,52960 ns/m
no 0,3610
spl 87,73
getting 59hz -10db is already great, that's what I currently get with an 8 liter bass reflex box
Sorry for my English (I'm Brazilian), but I couldn't help but thank you for all the help you provide to the diyer community!

Last edited:
Did you need to use a BSC filter? (Parallel LRC filter they recommended)

Leather surround!

Nope, i did not use any filter. I want to build a third speaker. A karlsonator subwoofer. Then i want to make a system with an active cross over with an ADAU1701 which is cheap. for me it is a fun project to play with. maybe i find a cheap dayton PA310 which was suggested for a woofer in this thread.

unfortunatly my "listing room" aka the attic is currently being renovated. so it will take some time to do measurments with REW :-(