Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Karlsonator is a great kitchen speaker. For mono use a TDA8932 monoblock amp and take a Sanwu BT module stereo output and sum it with a poor man's summing junction: two 4k7 carbon resistors in a "Y". Take common from Y as input to monoblock amp. Works like a charm.

This will also play songs from micro SD or USB stick.
Bluetooth audio receiver board with USB decoding before the class output SANWU TF card original producer-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Yes xrk971, that's the kind of the setup I was thinking of. I wasn't happy with the sound of The TDA 8932 in my living room, but it might work in the kitchen. My ear prefers Class AB to D it seems. Wish there was a mono ver of TDA7297. Crazy that the BT module w/o amp costs more than the ones with built in amps. I'm still locked out of my aliexpress account after one order and can't figure how to get back in. I've chatted with them three times and it was always excruciating. After 30 minutes of dumb questions they'd tell me it was being forwarded up the chain and marked extremely important and would be fixed within 24 hours; then I'd never hear from them again. Awful. Luckily Sanwu has that exact board (HF36) on their site for less - $7. But it says BT 2.1. I'm going to keep looking. At least I get the idea now how to sum both channels.

Quad TC9FD in single-box stereo matrix

421545d1401635054-master-nagaoka-tetsuo-explorations-matrixed-single-stereo-speakers-one-speaker-stereo-1.png

I just tried out the "Stereo with a Single Speaker" topology from Elias using a pair of the 0.4x Karlsonators and a Nautaloss II for the center channel. I have to say I am very impressed by the sound quality and stereo imaging from "one speaker". For a quick proof of concept I thought using three existing small speakers arranged next to each other will let me know if this is worth pursuing with a dedicated box. Well it is... I am thinking of a large Karlsonator with 4 Vifa's: 2 front facing and two mounted side firing, all sharing a common driver chamber so there should be lots of bass.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...xed-single-stereo-speakers-2.html#post3947394

It is a really quick experiment because all you need to do is hook up the speakers like the simple diagram and connect to a class A/B amp. Do not use a class D as they do not have a "common" for return line and you will short your class D amp's outputs.

Hi xrk971
I've now read the whole Mini Karsonator thread, but the post quoted and the one directly following it are the only info I can find on you trying a MK with "Stereo with a Single Speaker". Did you get anywhere with this? ...and is it at all possible to ask for a sketch of how you proposed the 4 speaker enclosure, in particular where you thought the side drivers would be fitted?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is what I ended up building for the single speaker stereo - a three driver bass reflex box. The use of the Karlsonators was just a quick test to hear what three drivers aimed as such would sound like. The key to it is how to connect the speakers in a matrix with psychoacoustic left/right to center channel cross feed. Member Elias has more of that on his website.

http://elias.altervista.org/html/SingleSpeakerStereo.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...board-speaker-enclosures-239.html#post3961261

423766d1402761370-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-sss-tc9fd-photo-2.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the update X. I've long followed the various threads related to Elias' ideas and I've already built your version above, but just hoped to try the same thing using Mini Karlsonator to get more bass performance. If you've any input on that, I'm a willing student of your foamcore creations and up for trying anything.

You could try doing exactly that - make three 0.40x scale Karlsonators and arrange in a T configuration or even a trapezoid and covwfnwith a common skin to make it one box. It will be a big box though.
That sounds worth testing out. Would you suggest the Mini-Ks have their own backs? Or can tey share a common internal volume? ...if so have you any pointers on how to work out the volume?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
xrk971
Very impressed with Your work !!

If You will have a few spare minutes could You make a small design for Dayton PS95 please.
I bought pair of them and I really like what I can hear from them.

Regards
Peter

The sims show that a PS95-8 will work perfectly in an 0.40x scale Karlsonator if you have a single driver. If you want to try doubling up, put two in parallel drive in 0.53x Karlsonator.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
XRK have you ever modeled a Fountek FE87? Parts Express has had this on "Buy Out" for a long time for $7.99. I put one in medium sized thick card board box with some Polly-Fill thrown in (totally guessing on everything) and it sounded pretty decent. Wondering if it would be a candidate for one of the mini-Karlsonators? I already have some foam board!

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks for confirming Jwarch. Did I run a simulation for you at some point or did you you just try it and it worked?

Edit: I did sim it over 2 years ago in post 1318. Forgot all about it.

474523d1427651730-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-0.40x-karslonator-ps95-8-freq-1m.png

X, I know I saw your old sim when I read through the thread a while back. I had also seen other designs using the PS95's so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm powering them with a $9 TA2024 amp off fleabay. The imaging is great and they easily fill our living room. My wife was sad that I took them to work. ;)

Those are really nice drivers I have heard. Give me a few days and will let you know. I'm sure I'll come up with something.
Absolutely no hurry. They are nice drivers I believe. I've got one beautiful enabled pair from Dave that are in wall-mount micro-castle's for now. One pair of the used ones are destined to replace them unless your mini karls convince me otherwise!