Mini Computer Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building enclosures for these same PE drivers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107394)
and will be mounting them to the rear of the front baffle. I'm using 3/4" material with no rabbet and I'm wondering what effect the deep recess is going to have on the sound. My issues are compounded by the hacked-together construction... clearly not something you need to worry about. The completed cubes look awesome! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what folks say about the rear mount option. I think Planet10 built small bipoles(?) with the Aura NS3 rear-mounted, but I don't recall the details - such as the use of a rabbet. Good Luck.

I was worried about doing the roundover and the rabbet on the same edge, so I gave in and ordered the baffles through a guy on ebay that makes custom mdf rings. They'll have a 1/4" rabbet on the back with the front cutout edge rounded over to 3/8".

I saw the one planet10 has for his NS3s and the drivers looked to be recessed about 1/4".

I think as long as you can widen up the baffle around it you should be good, whether it be by router with a roundover or chamfer, or even by just handsanding... although it would probably take forever and leave you with lots of blisters.

From very recent personal experience I can say that completing the contouring of the front baffle "by hand" is a royal PIA. I used a rasp, file, dremel (okay, not technically a hand-tool), and sand paper. Sounds like you've found a more elegant solution, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the results.

squib

Well the precut baffles came in today. And for 15 bucks, I think I may do this regularly. I hate doing such small router cutouts. Didn't really expect them to be painted, but I can probably sand it down for the butt joints.

0041.jpg

Got a lot done with these today.

Wood:

DSC00547.jpg

Construction:

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

Baffle mockup (with masked drivers):

DSC00551.jpg

Mounted from rear:

DSC00552.jpg

After the backs were done I rounded over the back 4 sides, then lined the inside with dampnener, glued in felt, and glue in the power wires. I'll be ready to glue on the baffles and finish the roundovers tomorrow.

How did you do the roundovers / rounded edges on the mini speakers and these mini woofers again? I read you did them with a table rounder??? not a router?

Looking great! Will these get the same paint treatment as the last ones? How much did it cost to get the other ones sprayed? Or was it a friend who did it?

Thanks! Very neat and small!

Jon

jonnyrockets said:
How did you do the roundovers / rounded edges on the mini speakers and these mini woofers again? I read you did them with a table rounder??? not a router?

Looking great! Will these get the same paint treatment as the last ones? How much did it cost to get the other ones sprayed? Or was it a friend who did it?

Thanks! Very neat and small!

Jon

The first ones I did with a shaper (older technology), but the current set I used a 1" radius roundover bit with a router.

These are also going to get auto paint, but they will be black.

I decided to skip sending these to the shop to get primed, since that was usually the step that took the most time to get done, so I picked up some filler primer and went to work. The blue painter's tape wasn't staying in place enough to protect the drivers, so I switched to the green 3m automotive masking tape. Wehn taking it off today to check the coverage, I noticed that the glue stuck to the surround basically anywhere it was attached. I'm going to try some thinner or alcohol or acryli-clean to try and clean them up, as well as any unmasked spots.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.