Mini a's Up in SMOKE :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use glass too Al for lapping out the slot in Malteese Crosses for film projectors. Gotta count each swipe and keep track of it all so one slot doesn't end up wider than the others:xeye: . I still think a local Grinding shop would do something like that very reasonably on a set of sinks, probably less then 40.00 US. It would then definately be a presision surface!

Mark

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
Well, you don't actually use a sanding block to lap a surface!! Normally special tools made fomr brass have to be made up to lap a surface.

Sure you can! As I mentioned, mine are made from titanium (from a turbine engine plant - not mentioned). Any machinist's block will work fine. The tolerance is not as fine as you indicate since only the local mounting area for the part needs to be true, and we are improving over what the original surface was. Most people just "crank em down". We do not require a lapped surface down to 1200 grit or better.

Now if you want a mirror surface, you are quite right. I think a large improvement can be made just getting rid of most of the surface imperfections. Filing is also effective, I've done it that way and finished with 600, then the back of the paper. Shiny oooo.

Really, what someone can do easily at home is a big improvement some times. That's all my point is.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.