• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

MingDa MC-7R noise and gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think MingDa reads this post

I opened my mingda up and wanted to do a few of these update, noticed the 100uf 16v cap on the first gain stage was missing and the resistors for the plate had changed values, plus additional changes. I wanted to send an updated schematic to this post and see if anyone can review it, recommend changes to lower the gain/ noise. Anyone out there after all these years?

I opened my mingda up and wanted to do a few of these update, noticed the 100uf 16v cap on the first gain stage was missing and the resistors for the plate had changed values, plus additional changes. I wanted to send an updated schematic to this post and see if anyone can review it, recommend changes to lower the gain/ noise. Anyone out there after all these years?

Yep, I'm still using this preamp.
This is the original schematic of Hetian Mao, the Marantz 7 circuit that the MC7-R based on.
20086242311711282.jpg

Note that the there's many changes in the MC7-R circuit compared to this original circuit. Is it the reason why the MC7-R gain is too much?

Can I Use 12Y7 Tubes to Replace the 12AX7 Tubes?

Removing that 1000uF cap in the first stage will both reduce local stage gain and the overall closed loop gain to about 6. Verify that it is stable under these conditions (with a scope) before connecting amplifier or speakers to it.

If you do this mod use a 5751, the lower mu should help with stability.

I just realized there is another sneaky thing you can do to reduce loop gain further without changing the quiescent operating point. Replace the 270K plate load resistor with 100K and the 100K dropping resistor with 270K.

Do you think it would be ok to use 12AY7 tubes to replace the 12AX7 tubes?
They have gain of 44.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.