Mil spec wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a lot of Teflon insulated wire on ebay for what came out to $0.03 per foot including shipping. The stuff is there all the time. Search for "teflon wire".

I can't say it "sounds" better (I seriously doubt it) but is sure does solder better. Teflon insulation doesn't melt like PVC, so you get good, nice looking solder joints every time.

MR

Teflon insulation has an almost greasy feel to it. It is hard to strip with a regular wire stripper because it takes a lot of force to cut it and you usually end up cutting some of the strands of wire with it, especially the 19 strand stuff. It is hard to cut the insulation cleanly so you end up with little whiskers of teflon attached to the ends of the wires.

If you're going to use a lot of teflon wire, do yourself a big favor and get a thermal stripper. It will cleanly melt through the teflon without damaging the wire underneath. You can pay top dollar for a thermal stripper if you get it from a tool company, or you can look for one on ebay or at a ham fest. I picked mine up for $10 at a flea market.

MR

Attachments

• stripper.jpg
    stripper.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 137
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.