Midrange suggestion...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could try PHL, available at E-speakers. Efficiencies of up to 101 dB/W available, but I'm not sure how flat they are. Seem to get a good rap from people who have used them. I think that Nelson Pass used some in his latest design.

Alternatively an MTM?

Mick

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nappylady said:
~310hz to ~3100hz, maximally flat, and (here's the hard part!) efficient to 96 dB or more.

Audax PR17, paper cone one. Close to 100 dB.

dave

Attachments

• audaxpr17.jpg
    audaxpr17.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,021
Audax has made a few different versions of that driver; I've tried the TPX and it sounded fine until the TPX cracked (as it tends to do). So far, I've lost about half my Audax TPX drivers to cracking, even one that had never left its original box.

You might also think "multiple drivers." A pair of Audax Aerogel 4 or 5 inchers in parallel will give you the sensitivity you're looking for. And I haven't cracked any of them yet.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SY said:
Audax has made a few different versions of that driver; I've tried the TPX and it sounded fine until the TPX cracked (as it tends to do). So far, I've lost about half my Audax TPX drivers to cracking, even one that had never left its original box.

Wow. I haven't seen or heard the TPX, but Thorsten says he prefers the paper. The paper certainly has greater longevity -- the pic was taken within the last year, but i bought them in 1982.

dave

"cracking"??? That makes me nervous. These cabs are going to be my PA cabinets for a good long while, I hope... (I'm being ambitious! a 3-way full-range design with built-in TRIAMPING so all it needs is a signal and an IEC power cable and it's ready to go) so I don't want to be replacing drivers all the time. I guess I should've stipulated that from the beginning, but does that change anyone's suggestions?

Addendum: I'm looking now at the Audax PM170MO in the Madisound catalog, and I have but two concerns:

1. the rolloff at the bottom end starts a bit above my intended crossover point, and I'm worried that might cause a dip in the response right there. Can I overcome that with the design of the box?

2. Right at the upper xover point I see what looks like combing artifacts, and while I presume that's just diffraction crap from the baffle they used, I want the "Pro DIYer" opinion on this... will the combing go away if I shape the baffle differently or do something else to it? (Right now I'm thinking of putting a layer of open-cell foam on the front baffle and shaping it like a violin, to kill diffraction patterns... My woodworking may suck, but my foam working is fantastic! :D )

Thanks for all the imput you guys; you're awesome.

Nappylady said:
Addendum: I'm looking now at the Audax PM170MO in the Madisound catalog, and I have but two concerns:

1. the rolloff at the bottom end starts a bit above my intended crossover point, and I'm worried that might cause a dip in the response right there. Can I overcome that with the design of the box?

2. Right at the upper xover point I see what looks like combing artifacts, and while I presume that's just diffraction crap from the baffle they used, I want the "Pro DIYer" opinion on this... will the combing go away if I shape the baffle differently or do something else to it? (Right now I'm thinking of putting a layer of open-cell foam on the front baffle and shaping it like a violin, to kill diffraction patterns... My woodworking may suck, but my foam working is fantastic! :D )

1. Probably not, though some playing around with baffles might help (see my next point). Is it possible for you to move the xover frequency up slightly?

2. It won't go away, it will be different. You can use a program like BDS to model what ripples your baffle will cause. ALL baffles modify frequency response, none are perfect. The trick is to play with baffle size and shape and with driver position until you get the most of what you want and the least of what you don't want. Don't be afraid of EQ, and whatever you do, never forget that you need to pay a LOT of attention to the off-axis stuff when looking at your optimization. And thank the various deities that you can do this playing around in software these days, rather than cutting a lot of wood.

Foam will not "kill" diffraction, only (sometimes) reduce it and (always) change it.

Nevermind, found it at the LDSG; "TPX. TPX is an unspecified polymer material (a plastic, reportedly polymethylpentene) used by both Audax and Seas. Seas' version specifically mentions PP as well. The presumption is that Seas uses an alloy of PP and TPX."
Jason

To Nappylady you didn't say whether you wanted a hifi driver or pa driver midrange.

For pa a good one is the Eminence Alpha 6, 6 inch 100w rms,97 db spl at 1w 1m,1.5 inch voice coil,110hz-10khz,20 0z magnet.

Most home hifi bass/midrange speakers are not more than 92db spl 1w at 1m,

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: reply

Bull said:
For pa a good one is the Eminence Alpha 6, 6 inch 100w rms,97 db spl at 1w 1m,1.5 inch voice coil,110hz-10khz,20 0z magnet.

ChrisB used one of these in an AMT 1/ Heil rebuild into a 3-way. Not bad at all 9Althou crossed at 800 Hz. We didn't like it as much as the Audax. Both will do duty in either PA or Hifi aps.

dave

Ordinarily I would be concerned about wattage, but since the speaker will be actively amplified, the only thing I'm really worried about is maximum SPL, and as I see it, efficiency is probably a good indicator of that.

The voice coil may be able to handle 100 watts, but if the excursion at my crossover frequency is all used up at just 1 watt, then it's no good for me.

How loud do I want the speakers? I'm not actually sure; that will probably fall out once I've got the drivers in a box with amplifiers; I'll get everything balanced, then find out how high they'll go, and cap the volume at that level.

Someone explain (or give pictures :D) of this "cracking" phenomenon--this is something I think I'd like to avoid. I'd like to use these PA speakers for a LONG time...

if I could ask a completely different question... I've read someplace that a 12 dB/octabe highpass filter keeps excursion constant as frequency goes down, assuming that the driver has flat response below the filter point... so, for the woofer of these cabinets, I'm thinking of adding a 12 dB/oct highpass filter at the resonance frequency of the woofer, (31 hz, I believe) so I can be sure that the excursion never gets out of hand... is this a good idea, or will it just kill my low bass response?

diypole, no, those are two different materials. TPX is indeed polymethylpentene. It's a bear to anneal properly, thus the cracking problems. I've talked with one of the suppliers of this material to Audax and they told me that my problem is not that unusual.

OTOH, I am an unabashed fan of their HDA Aerogel cones.

When I get home tonight, I'll snap a picture of a cracked cone for Nappylady.

Jimmy crack cone and I don't care

Here's a pic of a cracked TPX cone from a 3 way transmission line system I prototyped and abandoned. Low hours, only played at less than 90 dB on Sundays by a little old lady; no abuse here. Sorry for the dust, it's in my garage.

Attachments

• crackedtpx.jpg
    crackedtpx.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 580
TPX was very popular made so by DO of Sterophile with his Dahlia speaker in the 80s. or was it 90s. decreasing brain cell count affects me esp on fridays.

It is quite dead esp along with the Norosex surround Audax used. However at that time my exp with Audax was their published specs were quite a bit off.

They are better with the Aerogel series. I am happy with the HM170 between 200Hz and 3k.

The PR170 dave mentions is also a very good PA mid. can recomend that too.

another unrealted thing. many super flat drivers used high loss rubber surrounds. Vifa's P13s for example. Try and avoind them they soud nice but not exicting. Music must give me goose bumps. All else is incidental.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.