Midrange - cones vs Compression drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi Peter

the midbass horn is 75cm long, and the adapter another 15cm. So total 90cm. I lowpass at 1khz, 6db. I think about make later on a adapter, to use the back of the diaphragm without phase plug straight annexed to the horn, without the 2" to 4" adapter, and close the backchamber , with foam, same as the Fane Studio 8m. So the backchamber will be bigger than it is now, and aloud the driver to go lower. The backwave will radiate into the phaseplug, and back into the bigger backchamber. That will lower Fs of the driver. Maibe this weekend i will make some measurements.

Last edited:
I also experimented with idea of compression driver upperbass. Electrovoice used it in their Patrician IV horns. On the picture is oversized mouth 100Hz taper dual compression driver reentry units in compound configuration.Yes it ads a lot of snap, energy and dimmension to the sound but ultimatively I gave up because after a while one notice that the body and low end response is lacking and the sound is to dry. The horn was crossed 200Hz-600hz. I'd suggest cone driver and with time compression driver from 400 up. in suitable horn.
Regards

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 841
hi Peter

the midbass horn is 75cm long, and the adapter another 15cm. So total 90cm. I lowpass at 1khz, 6db. I think about make later on a adapter, to use the back of the diaphragm without phase plug straight annexed to the horn, without the 2" to 4" adapter, and close the backchamber , with foam, same as the Fane Studio 8m. So the backchamber will be bigger than it is now, and aloud the driver to go lower. The backwave will radiate into the phaseplug, and back into the bigger backchamber. That will lower Fs of the driver. Maibe this weekend i will make some measurements.

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for responding!

Best regards
Peter

.. the backchamber will be bigger than it is now, and aloud the driver to go lower. The backwave will radiate into the phaseplug, and back into the bigger backchamber. That will lower Fs of the driver..
are you sure - diaphragm will not meet with phaseplug?
.. Maibe this weekend i will make some measurements.
very interesting..

What do you consider midrange?? Where do you want to crossover?? I have a couple of horn/waveguide systems. I really like the JBL 10's like the 2122 or 2123. They run from about 250-300 up too about 1.5K in the two systems I use them in. They sound great the only issue can be the 1.5K crossover point in you want to stay away from there with a crossover.

My other system uses a 3" compression driver crossed over at about 750hz and then at 8K to a UHF driver. Another really nice sounding system but with the woofer covering the lower midrange.

You have to name your poison as far as where you want the crossover points to be. As long as the crossovers are well implimented either way will work.

Rob:)

Hey Rob, I have a pair of 2120 professional series 10's, d130 15's and bullet tweeters. years ago in high school I made a box which held them all. Behind the 10's in made a virtually no airspace box inside the larger box. the entire system to me then sounded fantastic. Have you ever put the 10's in virtually no air space? I'm thinking about building another box and am trying to find the best way to use the 10's as mids (as well as save space if possible). I can't seem to find anyone recommending this on the web but at the time I swore someone in the industry told me that jbl would recommend no air if using these 10's as mids... Thanks in advance for your advice and/or thoughts.
-josh

Joined 2008
Paid Member
resurrection !!

The resurrection of a thread !

I found this quite interesting and there were a few unanswered questions posted here about 5 years ago. Assuming most here are life long tinkerers,
I would welcome a few progress reports. Myself, like the Bear, try to avoid a crossover in the 250-3.5kHz range, but that's not always possible.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Last week i connected my lower midrange horn with Fane Studio 8M. Did not change the settings of the crossover. It sounded aweful to me, compared to the Beyma 12p80nd. Colored and unpleasant. Switched soon back to the actual configuration.

Hello Angelo,

Yes, your set up with Beyma 12p80nd/ TPL-150 combination is somewhat legendary now !

How much time has expired since you first tried this?

2 years ?
3 years ?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
hi Scott

i am not changing my configuration for at least 3 years....

how about u ?

Angelo,
I've had cone driven round horns for at least 2 years. However, the
curiosity bug has hit me again, and I want to try an all direct radiator system next. I love the sound of my one big horn, but then again, I want to experience a sound that is all "cut from the same cloth". Some day I might want to try a large mid bass horn, but for right now, building a substitute mid range is easier/ quicker.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Depends on the required "efficiency" and the operational passband (especially considering the low-pass crossover and directivity). :eek:

Pretty easy for low efficiency. :) Not so much for high efficiency. :(

Hey (other) Scott !

It will not be super high efficiency, but then again not as low as a "normal" direct radiator, either. I will get back to you with the results. Thanks for your interest !

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The "middle ground":

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-midrange/audax-hm100z0-4-aerogel-midrange/

Moderate efficiency, reasonably non-directive up high in freq., etc..

I have had a pair of those for who-knows-how-long. They have a nice reputation. I don't think they could be used as low as 250Hz; even as low as 500 is probably pushing them. 800-5 K is most likely their prime range !!

Scott, have you, or do you use these, and if so, how/where ?

p.s. For my next act, I'm using the pr170's with a little help below :)

I have had a pair of those for who-knows-how-long. They have a nice reputation. I don't think they could be used as low as 250Hz; even as low as 500 is probably pushing them. 800-5 K is most likely their prime range !!

Scott, have you, or do you use these, and if so, how/where ?

p.s. For my next act, I'm using the pr170's with a little help below :)

..I'd say 800 Hz personally (as a single driver). :eek: But not an "abrupt" low-pass. 300 Hz for 4 of them with enough baffle support. I think they would excel in a mini-vertical line.

Nope, I've used the pro 6" Aerogel, but because of its size it becomes more directive at a lower high freq. - which makes integration a bit more difficult.

Sadly it's no longer available. :(

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
ScottL,

You talk about the pr17m0 or the unforgetable z0 ? This last one became rare but the m0 can be found !

Atelier de réparation et vente de haut-parleurs AUDAX

Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | Shop[shop_articles][action]=details&index[shop_articles][category==8&index[shop_articles][data][shop_articles_id]=29

near specs : Haut-parleurs - audax]%[/category]
[category=

Eldam,

I bought 4 pcs of the PR-170zo many, many years ago, just before they went distinct. It's about time I tried to use at least one pair of them !]%[/category]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.