Midrange attenuation l-pad or single resistor?

Thanks for reporting back with your listening tests.

The results indicate that the crossover and attenuator components need to be designed to work together in synergy in order to provide the desired response.

Have fun experimenting. I'm interested in finding out where you end up!

Exactly. On the right channel (L-Pad side) changing the cap and coil to at around 3.9uF + 0.44mH sounds very similar like the left channel (series single resistor) where the values are 4.7uF+0.26mH.
The sound it is a matter of taste I think. With the single resistor it is calmer, smoother top end and warmer the speaker globally. The L-Pad version with the new values also very good. It is natural sounding, probably has a bit more dynamic and extended frequency response of course. The upper treble is stronger. Both are very good I think, difficult to decide. They have different tonality for sure. I will listen the L-Pad version for a while.

Yes, the L-pad version is the latest. I like it.

We forgot to examine the 3rd option...
What happens if the single series resistor is between the high-pass?
I mean first the series cap, after the series single resistor and lastly the parallel coil. Probably the sound would be similar to where the single series resistor is before the high-pass? This is another story...

I think Allen means that there are instances when you may wish to increase the impedance of the tweeter to match that of the other drivers in the speaker system.

Doing so requires calculation of the crossover components to match the increased impedance.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Lol. Each iteration is a chance, with a bonus of increased knowledge of the situation.

Code:
KIRK: Mister Spock, can we get those two guards? What would you say the odds on our getting out of here?
SPOCK: Difficult to be precise, Captain. I should say approximately 7,824.7 to 1.
KIRK: Difficult to be precise? 7,824 to 1?
SPOCK: 7,824.7 to 1.
KIRK: That's a pretty close approximation.
SPOCK: I endeavour to be accurate.
KIRK: You do quite well. Set your phaser on stun.

Just one more quesrion. How influence the tweeter's sound that at the L-pad I slightly lift up the values either series or the parallel resistor? Let's say calculator shows 2.7/15ohm but I create 3ohm/15ohm or 2.7/18ohm. Both are around 8.2ohm impedance but which has advantage or benefit?