Midbass: horn vs direct radiator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
At that distance with 45 (SE 2 watts?) amps You may be able to get away with a pair of parallel wired 16 ohm 15s. A midbass horn that could easily beat that will be pretty deep. Just don't expect realistic dynamics and volume out of either. SET amps I have have excellent bass sound but fail to drive my midrange basshorns to say "in the room" single standing bass levels. I image there are better 45 amps out there but you will only get so much.

He's talking about try a '45 s.e.t on his mid range. I hate to be constantly redundant here, but I do not think that is enough power for a 97db cone mid range. The beauty of an s.e.t. is when mated to a 112 db/w compression driver/horn system.

For mid-bass you would something along the lines of a Bryston's heft, control, and power.

It will be in half space (one acoustic mirror) so the circumference of the mouth needs to be at least 1/2 the wavelength of the expected low end response. If it used the wall it would have 2 reflections and this will allow for a quarter size horn.

He's talking about try a '45 s.e.t on his mid range. I hate to be constantly redundant here, but I do not think that is enough power for a 97db cone mid range. The beauty of an s.e.t. is when mated to a 112 db/w compression driver/horn system.

For mid-bass you would something along the lines of a Bryston's heft, control, and power.

That midrange is in a horn - probably more like 104 db sensitive

I mostly use SS amps on my bass horns class A up to 10-12 watts - 250 watts RMS into 8 ohms. No complaints driving 8" horn loaded. It's "shocking" real lol

Joined 2008
Paid Member
That midrange is in a horn - probably more like 104 db sensitive

I mostly use SS amps on my bass horns class A up to 10-12 watts - 250 watts RMS into 8 ohms. No complaints driving 8" horn loaded. It's "shocking" real lol

I know someone who keeps clipping his '45 and takes the tweeter out with it, but I suppose a hefty mid-range cone unit can "take it".

POOH, is it class "A" 10-12 watts, or is it something else that is 250 watts ?

I usually place engineering well ahead of audio-folk-lore. This (previous) statement is not directed any anyone in particular, but if you design your speaker playback system around being able to reproduce 120db peaks cleanly, with the provided power in relation the speaker efficiency, you will be okay.

It will be in half space (one acoustic mirror) so the circumference of the mouth needs to be at least 1/2 the wavelength of the expected low end response. If it used the wall it would have 2 reflections and this will allow for a quarter size horn.

Oh! I see. A very significant point!! So Volvotreter's and Inlow's midbass horns aren't as compromised as I thought because they work as if they had twice the mouth area they physically have.

Thank you for pointing this out!

I know someone who keeps clipping his '45 and takes the tweeter out with it, but I suppose a hefty mid-range cone unit can "take it".

POOH, is it class "A" 10-12 watts, or is it something else that is 250 watts ?

SET amps - For casual low volume listening - I do this a lot more now that my wife has MS - the little amps are good on compression drivers but really don't have the power to reproduce realistic transients - even with 107 db bass horns, 110 db midrange CD and 107 DB CD treble horns. Even when triamped - 60 watts RMS (good amps, must be dead quiet, SET amps I have are not) is what I normally run - all class A up to 10 or more watts. The SETs get put in for a change and have their merits. Never burned a compression driver coil with tube amps.

The bass horn amp is both 12 watts class A and 250 RMS AB

Last edited:
Oh! I see. A very significant point!! So Volvotreter's and Inlow's midbass horns aren't as compromised as I thought because they work as if they had twice the mouth area they physically have.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Yes, it's very important. My feelings are 1/2 size or larger with 2 or more mirrored acoustic reflections will bring you the greatness people rave about with bass horns. Bruce Edgar actually used to use 1/4 and 1/6 size horns in his designs. I use a 1/4 for deep bass with three acoustic mirrors and it works great. You want to build the horn bass system for the room. My midbass low mid horns are full size and are in half space - sound is excellent.

1/8th size "Show Horn" http://volvotreter.de/downloads/Edgar-Show-Horn.pdf

Last edited:
Here we have some "hiend end" audio dude freaking out over what looks to be a compromised 1/8th size horn - LOL - 6moons industry features: RoadTour Living Voice

I think they sell these for 100 thousand US or so - now if the bass horn was full size that would be something to be excited about - not even close. plus it is folded. We all can do better than this- but most will never experience what it's all about

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.