Midbass horn: how to solve the range below it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glad to read this is working for you, since it will be my initiall fall back alternative. What kind of subs do you run? I believe mine wouldn't be happy at 120Hz xo.

BTW, why did you choose 12PE32? How high do you run them, and what alternative drivers did you consider?

I chose 12pe32 because in sims it would go lower than 8pe32. Other drivers were considered but in sims this was better. At this price anyway.
I chose one per side because my listening room is 20 sq meters and one is enough.
I run them up to 450Hz. Crossed to a 3.5" FaitalPro 3Fe25.

The subs are with 12" JBL car subwoofer. I think I need more of them, for resolving some dips in room.

Listening level is never >90dB for every day use..

Over the last few months i jave gone from horn loaded midbass to U frame bass to sealed box. Each was a significant step down from the sensation of impact, especially the sealed box. With each step the bass roll off frequency got lower but lost some of the viceral sensation.

Ill either go back to the u frame or the horn midbass with subs. The poor monopole sounds like its pawing at the air

Reportedly about $300 each including shipping to a US destination. WHG

Now that sounds like a fair price. I'd buy a pair of those for that price but 90 degree horns don't work so well in my room. I have some 60 degree EV conical/expo HR6040 "White Whale" horns that work great and are a bit smaller than these K402. The 90 degree EV needs more room to breath than I have

Not Overwhelming

Klipsch pro and cinema dealers. I'm not sure how much they are these days, from what I saw on forums they are around $4-5k a pair with the Klipsch (BMS) compression drivers.

I don't think they'd work in the OP's application since they are enormous. Here is a picture I took from the owner's system where I heard them. I should have had someone stand next to them, because that picture doesn't really show just how big that midrange horn is. OT: that was also the most true "live" reproduction with no horn coloration I'd ever heard.

WHTg9zO.jpg

IMHO if I were the OP I would just look into a Geddes kit, build 'em and enjoy music. That would be the route I would take if I had a small room.

The span from far edge to fare edge of the Jubilees, shown in the photo, is approximately 8.5 widths of the green padded chair on the right. Given that chairs are typically 2 feet wide, give or take a inch or two; that spread is equivalent to 17 feet or about 5 meters. While they have a prominent presence in room of this width, the units size certainly is not overwhelming in this setting. WHG

how much do the k402 cost and who sells them

The K-402 is sold as a package and only can be done via Klipsch pro (cinema) dealer.

The package is the horn, stand and driver. The choice of driver depends on whether it is a two-way or three-way system. The cost will total a bit above $2K for a pair.

If you are interested then get to the Klipsch forum and ask your question since this ends up being a special order when you get them for home use.

Over the last few months i jave gone from horn loaded midbass to U frame bass to sealed box. Each was a significant step down from the sensation of impact, especially the sealed box. With each step the bass roll off frequency got lower but lost some of the viceral sensation.

Ill either go back to the u frame or the horn midbass with subs. The poor monopole sounds like its pawing at the air

There are the types of comments that get me intrigued with midbass horns. What did you use below them?
Why did you change to the others types?

What are your thoughts considering my room and system? Good idea?

Thank you!

There are the types of comments that get me intrigued with midbass horns. What did you use below them?
Why did you change to the others types?

What are your thoughts considering my room and system? Good idea?

Thank you!

I have a couple of 15's below for now. Im trying different things to see what works for me.

I would suggest you build a prototype midbass horn out of cheap plywood and try it in your room, in your system. It wont cost you much and you can scratch that itch. Otherwise you will always be wondering :)

I have a couple of 15's below for now. Im trying different things to see what works for me.

I would suggest you build a prototype midbass horn out of cheap plywood and try it in your room, in your system. It wont cost you much and you can scratch that itch. Otherwise you will always be wondering :)

That's what I'm thinking too. I would need to buy the drivers though.

That's what I'm thinking too. I would need to buy the drivers though.

PRV makes good affordable drivers in Brazil. Wouldnt cost you a fortune to set up a prototype. Or scour ebay for second hand drivers?

Ubfortunately in this game its a matter of 3 steps forward, 2 back as you test different configurations that suit your room and your preferences. Its not an inexpensive excercise but its better than speculating and can be a fun process

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
LewinskiH01 said:
B&C 8PE21 .... Playing with Hornresp I get a nice acoustical power response that suggests a lower xo around 115-135Hz.
In my findings this driver is typically comfortable crossing around 200-250Hz. This accounts for the horn. (Will you be doing tractrix/Lcl or hyp/ex?) Group delay (and the impedance peak) stand at the lower end. The tractrices of ~125-200Hz cutoff afford a similar response to each other, and stretching down tends to be counter productive.

One outstanding feature of this capable driver is its strong motor, which kind of rules out sealed boxes and non-loading horns/waveguides unless you are aiming within this lower limitation, in which case no problem, or upper midrange is your aim.

DSP could fix the group delay, if that's the way you want to go. Hearing is less sensitive at these frequencies, I may have other views on the subject.

the K402 looks interesting for a midrange, but just too large.
The K402 mid horn Vertical dimension lets go near 400Hz. I'd consider such a dimension for crossing above the B&C, if you run it to 600-1200Hz. You could go higher if you sort out the throat, and play the compromises.

I'd want larger than this for the B&C as an upper bass/midrange horn though, even with appropriate baffling, room wall support.

assuming power is not an issue.
Efficiency is very good with this driver. Bandwidth less so. You'll only need single digits power to drive you out of the room.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
infinite baffle bass

You can use a vertical horn (like in the Edgar slimline) to get a midbass horn with out a large footprint.

A SLOB (floor to ceiling) could stack twelve x 15" drivers in a reasonably small footprint.

An infinite baffle, if you can install it, doesn't take up any room space at all.

This approach (infinite baffle bass) is of course, the ULTIMATE performer, but
it does take quite the commitment. Often times, the installation might be considered permanent. Mr. Lewinski would have to examine his listening room, and determine if there is several hundred cubic feet of space available.
1) room next to room ?
2) above ceiling ?
3) in the basement below ?

The K-402 is sold as a package and only can be done via Klipsch pro (cinema) dealer.

The package is the horn, stand and driver. The choice of driver depends on whether it is a two-way or three-way system. The cost will total a bit above $2K for a pair.

If you are interested then get to the Klipsch forum and ask your question since this ends up being a special order when you get them for home use.

Is that recent pricing? For me that price is much more reasonable. What I really liked about them is the their lower limit makes it much easier to mate with midbass horns.

Is that recent pricing? For me that price is much more reasonable. What I really liked about them is the their lower limit makes it much easier to mate with midbass horns.
Around $2000 is what I paid two years ago from Cinequip.
American Cinema Equipment

I would say that's very reasonable for such amazing horns. Even paired with a non horn loaded 15" below, they sound fabulous and will crush any high-end out there.

Here's a picture of mine with a midbass horn below.

Attachments

• Midbass horn and Klipsch 001 (Large).JPG
    Midbass horn and Klipsch 001 (Large).JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 219
This approach (infinite baffle bass) is of course, the ULTIMATE performer, but
it does take quite the commitment.
Often times, the installation might be considered permanent.
The only non-permanent ways I can think of is to build one into a wardrobe ...or if aesthetics are unimportant, mount one in a window, like an airconditioner.

Mr. Lewinski would have to examine his listening room, and determine if there is several hundred cubic feet of space available.
1) room next to room ?
2) above ceiling ?
3) in the basement below ?

You can simply vent them outdoors, like this chap's infinite baffle sub:
William Cowan's Homepage

A few years ago, I pointed a friend (who was renovating) at the IB concept. He looked at some on-line info, and installed his subwoofer in the crawl space under his house. The bass vented into the room via an iron grill in the floor.

If I recall correctly, he used a ply box as the manifold, and a section of sonotube as the rear chamber for each driver ...so not a true (huge) IB, but still a very cheap and easy way to have a large bass enclosure without using up any in-room space.

Attachments

• pewter-marquis-cast-iron-construction.jpg
    pewter-marquis-cast-iron-construction.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 188
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.