Mid-bass horn (easy to build)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm just now catching up with the recent posts. Somehow, I got busy and lost track of this thread.

I like the idea of using photos to demonstrate fabrication technique. I'll have to work on that.

I still haven't fabricated the 4x8" horn as I'm swamped with the WE15A. I managed to pull the first copy from the molds, but the mold release failed and I lost the molds. I'll have to build new mold from the first set of horns.

Anyway, I duct taped the two horn halves together, stuffed my reducer into the JBL 2446 (which has the TruExtent beryllium diaphragms) and taped it to the throat. Duct tape: the handyman's friend ;) You can hear a YouTube recording I took with my iPhone. I'm quite pleased.

The horn (minus the last portion of mouth) has a range of 125 hz to 8000 hz, and with the mouth extension may have increased bass response.

A quick question similar to hum4god's earlier inquiry regarding the single driver 135 hz horn - what is the real-world usable upper bandwidth?

Would love to try to cross over at 800 hz tractrix (likely 2nd order). Ok match, or potential dispersion mismatch?

The bandwidth is decent. I've listened to it full range (testing my Bottlehead Beepre and Dynaco MIII for hum) and notice it covers a great deal of the mid range.

I toe my horns in, so the sweet spot is plenty wide.

Last edited:
Hello Carpenter,

Just saw your website.. ur too Good. I Liked your work very much. Specially the Spiral Bass Horn Loved it Man. Now let me come to the Point, I was thinking about the Danley BC 415 Subs. May be u could help me out. Do you have any idea about internal layout or Drawing of those Subs.

I have seen layout from one of the Member on this site "Weltersys" Based on his layout it looks likes 4 Horns are Mirrored Horizontally & Vertically. I have made a Drawing referring the same. Some screenshots for reference.

Secondly i dont know how to use Hornresp, So can you help me out by stimulating my Drawing in that Software & checking its Results. I can send the Drawing to you in any format you like. My email id is sadik.bhatkar@yahoo.com

Regards,
Sadik Bhatkar

Hi Sadik. If you study the horns on my site you'll notice I'm not a fan of abrupt changes in the wave path. My folded bass horn has one hard bend near the throat, and when I redesign, it will closely match my spiral bass horn layout.

Hi John,

I was wanting to build your 80Hz midbass horn using a set of AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely. which I currently have in sealed enclosures. You mentioned the design should work with most 18" drivers or would I need to modify it for this driver??
I'm using this mid bass with a set of Synergy horns (Paul Spencer) covering above 350hz and a tapped horn sub below 80hz (Keystone Subwoofer - Art Welter), the system is mostly used outdoors so has no room gain.
Do you have any pictures/diagrams of the build process or cutting plan that would help in the build??

P.S happy to contribute some $$ for the drawing etc

Regards, Rowan

If it's outdoors, the 18 is great. I prefer smaller drivers indoors to cover nuance. If the driver specs vary wildly from the JBL, then you'll need some massaging here and there.

yeah, the we15A are an amazing project. no wonder you are preoccupied.
as i recall you make them in a round profile ? reminds me of your crescent 60hz horn which i always wanted to build but in a square profile not in my small living room though.

i just saw that you updated your web page with the new 85hz horn , which looks great .
can you tell me what the mouth opening for that horn will be ?
i am looking forward to see more details on how you merge the 4 horn sections into the last mouth flare .
i just discovered the length of 57" plus driver chamber which is a little bit of a turnoff , at least for my space .

so i would still be interested in the 105hz 4 driver horn if you are still motivated to provide details for that option ?? what will total length be ?
m

Yes, 57" is quite long for many rooms, so you'll probably turn it on its head and added a scoop/reflector. It'll be several months before I'm free to pursue this quest.

Hi John

Great work you have shared here on the net!

Would a JBL 2220h be usable in your spiral-horn? (I ask because I allready have that driver, and really like your spiralhorn)

Best regards

Gisle

Are you referring to the spiral bass horn, or the 15-A?

You must mean the spiral bass horn... yes, it should work. I can run sims if you're interested in purchasing the prints.

Last edited:
I recently built a prototype to test John's 12PE32 135hz design, see below:

baa671e07c39f47f956cad1e0577329a.jpg

3eb9220403c2634dd576c93e7248a0d3.jpg

Testing it with a Radian 745 in a Seos 24

0f18081a210f0322133a0d4b83a528cb.jpg

FR of the horn at the mouth exit

77edeea2c56cc622b4f8ee8000a33202.jpg

John's published Hornresp model

c4b4e4f3e7d0a846846b49e10fb1c46a.png

John has been incredible to work with and really opened me up to the world of midbass horns!

Thanks,
Javad

Hi John

Sorry For all the fuss but I have not received any mail from you. I have checked my spam filter and nothing there neither. I would really like to purchase prints from you :)

Kind regards

Gisle Danielssen

This doesn't make sense, I've emailed you twice and haven't been informed by the email exchange that the link failed. Private message me please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.