• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Microwave + Computer = Tube? [help!]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This just >has< to be a troll, right?
Just in case.....
You can't just plug different power supplies into each other and hope it will work. computer PSUs will give you 12v max. Microwave PSUs will give (as others have pointed out) ~1200v.
If you try to stack these, you would only get 24v more (hardly worth it), and you wouldn't get the power (current limited by the microwave PSU - Kirchoff's law). Worse than that, you would almost certainly exceed the computer PSUs insulation voltage - bangs, smoke, flames and corpses!!! :whazzat:
If you tried parallelling them, it would be like connecting a 1200v supply to a 12v battery - more bangs, smoke, flames and corpses! :whazzat:
If you don't know why I'm going on about voltages, when you are wanting watts, then you really do want to start learning basic electrics. What is Voltage, Current, Power etc? What do resistors do? and capacitors and inductors and transformers etc etc....
After that, then start on electronics - diodes, transistors, valves (tubes) etc. THEN you can start thinking about building stuff. Lots of people get injured or killed (and get their house burnt down) by playing around like this. Please don't be in such a rush to do stuff - even if you do want to impress your friends!
Sorry if I'm sounding patronising, but we don't want to read of your demise in the papers! :bawling:

inhale said:
okay i went around my neighborhood, and i found a microwave, and 2 computer power supplys, so i have

1 600w (?) transformer
1 125w power supply
1 250W powersupply

thats 975 Watts. im trying to build a 2400W tube, but im guessing 975 is enough for now. well i didnt know the power supply didnt have a tarnsformer, so i figure i could use it as-is, but is there any way i could connect the p4 connectors and the molex connectors on the power supplys w\ the transformer from the microwave and build a tube? Now i know what you're thinking... i could kill my self with a serious zap. but i will take the necessary precautions and buy some heavy duty electrical gloves and test it elsewhere =], w\ a 6plug circut breaker (or what ever you call those things ofcourse) so please help me out here, is it possible?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi there Giaime,
This will keep me up at night for sure! Thinning the herd - absolutely.

I hope it's a troll or someone, inhale , may get hurt badly. There are safety interlocks on a microwave for a reason. Any high voltage device is the same (RF transmitters).

There is no inexpensive way to build a tube amp unless someone gives it to you. High power = high voltage. Do not work on these until you are very skilled. Normally this means you are over the age of thirty and have been shocked before (and survived) so you realise the safety rules really do matter. I still work with my left hand in my pocket as I'm sure most of us do, second nature. Read and read more. Talk to a responsible old TV tech or someone like that (who worked on tube stuff under warranty, that will put some age on them).

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.