MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project

I am personally convinced that the SDTRans 192 Rev 3 with the above mentioned updates provides the very best sound quality for music file playback obtainable today.

Those results are inline with my evaluation of the pre-release Rev 3 as my modified Rev 2.1 (different and more advanced than the Rev 2.1 unit I sent to Bunpei) sounded better in my setup.

I expect this last "tweak" also have improved the "fundament" and "nerve" in the music and thus improves everything and sounds more analogue like....

That was what I was "missing" in the Rev 3 compared to my modified Rev 2.1 even if the Rev 3 was possibly "better" in some respects I preferred the "fundament" and "nerve" of the modified Rev 2.1...

I listen to the music and not the "sounds" and thus I might evaluate the experienced quality a bit different than some :)

Last edited:
Those results are inline with my evaluation of the pre-release Rev 3 as my modified Rev 2.1 (different and more advanced than the Rev 2.1 unit I sent to Bunpei) sounded better in my setup.

I expect this last "tweak" also have improved the "fundament" in the music and thus improves everything and sounds more analogue like....

Fully agreed RayCtech :) Just want to add that in addition to the main listening session I did in my own system, I also did a brief separate listening via Etymotic headphones (only) to the (before and after) PPS capacitors with "old" FPGA in Eprom and "old" Firmware versus the new FPGA in Eprom Version 15 and Firmware Version 3.07, and that I felt the difference of the FPGA/Firmware was at least as big as the difference before and after PPS caps were added.

BTW. right now I am listening to a very familiar "old" recording: Laurie Anderson "Mr Heartbreake" (Blue Lagoon) and the sound is almost as holographic as I have heard it on my top analogue LP playback system. I happen to think that the very best of analogue playback still is "the standard" to judge the best of digital reproduction.....

Last edited:
Fully agreed RayCtech :) Just want to add that in addition to the main listening session I did in my own system, I also did a brief separate listening via Etymotic headphones (only) to the (before and after) PPS capacitors with "old" FPGA in Eprom and "old" Firmware versus the new FPGA in Eprom Version 15 and Firmware Version 3.07, and that I felt the difference of the FPGA/Firmware was at least as big as the difference before and after PPS caps were added.

BTW. right now I am listening to a very familiar "old" recording: Laurie Anderson "Mr Heartbreake" (Blue Lagoon) and the sound is almost as holographic as I have heard it on my top analogue LP playback system. I happen to think that the very best of analogue playback still is "the standard" to judge the best of digital reproduction.....

Dear Bunpei and RayCtech,

Thank you again for your findings! My DIY knowledge is very limited. Could you please explain more in details how to update the Eprom and to install the pps cap? An attached image of the sdtrans192 with the pps caps installed will also be highly appreciated. Many many thanks in advance.

Thank you again for the great kit!

Best,
Alan.

Could you please explain more in details how to update the Eprom and to install the pps cap? An attached image of the sdtrans192 with the pps caps installed will also be highly appreciated.

You have a new EEPROM onboard. You don't need to update it.

As for soldering PPS caps, please look at the picture attached.

At the back side, you will find two leads of C2, C19, C26, C50, C9 are soldered at two points, respectively.
Please solder the leads of new PPS caps to the soldering points of those original caps at the back side. Priorities for adding caps are labeled on the picture. The number 1 means of the top priority.

Attachments

• SN3G0044.JPG
    SN3G0044.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 917
You have a new EEPROM onboard. You don't need to update it.

As for soldering PPS caps, please look at the picture attached.

At the back side, you will find two leads of C2, C19, C26, C50, C9 are soldered at two points, respectively.
Please solder the leads of new PPS caps to the soldering points of those original caps at the back side. Priorities for adding caps are labeled on the picture. The number 1 means of the top priority.

Mr. Bunpei,

Thank you so much for your explanation! Will try to do the same. Right now already very impressed about the sound quality, very excited to test it out.

Thanks you again!

Alan.

The repeat function is a very welcome addition to the software. Thanks for adding it!

/Staccatiss

Firmware Version 3.07 (the latter has new functions for repeat playback of one melody, all melodies within a folder, or all melodies of all folders, and it also has an improved fade out and fade in function that prevents noise when moving between files with different sampling).

Chiaki and Bunpei are proud to announce that SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 can be upgraded to a 384 kHz/32 bit (Integer) play transport by replacing its EEPROM unit with a new version of FPGA program and by upgrading firmware for MCU.
At the timing of developing Rev. 2.1, Chiaki believed 352.8 kHz/24 bit was its upper limit because of a MCU processing speed limit.
Later RayCTech reported that 384 kHz/24 bit play was feasible by his tricky experiment.
In the process of rearranging logic gate configuration in FPGA chip and optimizing firmware codes in an assembly language, Chiaki achieved 32bit play on 352.8 kHz and 384 kHz.

However, I'm not sure that good 384 kHz/32 bit or 384 kHz/24 bit sources are available. I could only test up-sampled sources from 192 kHz/24 bit to 384 kHz/32 bit and short audio files released by MSB just for a testing purpose.

Anyway, any SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 users those who want to apply the upgrade can contact to Bunpei by a usual private Internet e-mail. (not a private messaging on this forum) They need to send their EEPROM unit back to him for replacing the FPGA program.

Dear Bunpei:

this is interesting. Now, the SDTrans384 name would be a nice name change

I am curiuous, Elecon reported that a new software improved sonical quality, have you noted any change in sonical quality with this 384k-capable software version?

Chiaki and Bunpei are proud to announce that SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 can be upgraded to a 384 kHz/32 bit (Integer) play transport by replacing its EEPROM unit with a new version of FPGA program and by upgrading firmware for MCU.
At the timing of developing Rev. 2.1, Chiaki believed 352.8 kHz/24 bit was its upper limit because of a MCU processing speed limit.
Later RayCTech reported that 384 kHz/24 bit play was feasible by his tricky experiment.
In the process of rearranging logic gate configuration in FPGA chip and optimizing firmware codes in an assembly language, Chiaki achieved 32bit play on 352.8 kHz and 384 kHz.

However, I'm not sure that good 384 kHz/32 bit or 384 kHz/24 bit sources are available. I could only test up-sampled sources from 192 kHz/24 bit to 384 kHz/32 bit and short audio files released by MSB just for a testing purpose.

Anyway, any SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 users those who want to apply the upgrade can contact to Bunpei by a usual private Internet e-mail. (not a private messaging on this forum) They need to send their EEPROM unit back to him for replacing the FPGA program.

have you noted any change in sonical quality with this 384k-capable software version?

To my regret, I have made no strict comparison between the two FPGA program versions, mark 15 and 16. Though I felt the new version was slightly better. I can't deny that a possible placebo effect might be included.
If you send back one of your EEPROMs to us, we will send the new one to you.

Bunpei

Last edited:
I for one is very satify with the sound and performance of SDtrans192 ver 3.0, love it. I haven't complete my buffalo build yet, so I know for sure I haven't fully explored the potential of the little gem, therefore I haven't comment early, but in case you guys want to know now....

I'm currently only connecting the kit with a very simple dac with PCM1793 at the moment, which only accept via SDPIF now, and then connecting to an active speaker produced by Swan. (I want to make the system as simple as possible, I have plans to upgrade it very soon to an active Adam monitor or should I have time will have a try on the Pluto) I'm driving the unit now with a Sanyo usb battery, KBC-L2AS i think (5V but only 500ma, wondering if too low). HOWEVER, even with all these limitations, I am so amazed by the great great sound stage SDtrans produced the moment I play the songs.

The materials I am listening to now is only normal wav files. Most of it vocals and some pops, a little bit of jazz like albums of winterplay from Korea, also Kokia's album in Japan. I still remembered the time when I first played it. I was setting my mind to have simple tests to make sure the card is fully functioning then, as I knew the setup is not doing justice now. But when the SDtrans once sings, I can't resist to sit there and closing my eyes and just enjoy the albums again like heard it new. And a hour flew away like a min, I noticed that I am still wearing my working clothes, forgotten to change after arriving home for an hour. The vocal coming from it is so lively and full of texture, just like the singer is suddenly more full of blood and flesh, a complete new sensation when compare to my previous listening. Adding it up with the big big soundstage I mentioned earlier, it makes the music a lot more "complete" and, sorry for my lack of vocab..."hi-fi". I have an urge to replay and listen again to many of my other albums.

I noticed that the highs and mids are more easier to grab your attention. The bass is tight but less pronounced. But it may due to the limitation of the speakers I have. I am not with a engineering background and cannot give you a lot details comment on the technical part, so the above is more like listening experience and may not be very helpful to others, but anyway.

I think I am now in the most exciting moment, when thinking about how much more I can make it improve on the already outstanding sound, you see, I am looking forward to the new buffalo kit (planning to do a dual mono, but too bad to find that I'm having one in 80mhz clock and 1 in 100mhz....and stock not availble to order currently, sigh..... is changing the clock very difficult? hope someone can advise the details), some higher quality source of music which is the strong point of SDtrans, to test out the I2S connection, and also the adding up of caps coming soon....wow.

In conclusion I am so glad that I made the purchase and really would like to thank you Bunpei san and Chiaki san for the wonderful design and effort.

English is not my first language and pls ignore the wrong grammar. :D

Maybe we are busy enjoying the music from the SDTrans192 ver 3 too much :cool:

I am very satisfied with my SDTrans192 version 3! It sounds fantastic and the user intereface is better than in version 2.1.

I am using my SDTrans192 with the Buffalo 2 via I2S and a highly modified Legato 2 with Duelund VSF coupling caps and film and foil polystyrene caps from RIFA.

In the photos below, you can see my setup.
I also have another Buffalo2 which is connected to my computer via a USB-SPDIF intereface - for background music.

/S

I wonder why overseas users of SDTrans Rev. 3.0 keep silence on it on this thread. I believe they are generally satisfied with the transport.

Attachments

• DSC02744-3.jpg
    DSC02744-3.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 744
  • DSC02745-3.jpg
    DSC02745-3.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
PPS mod

A few days ago I had got Sunring PPS caps and installed.

Surely it extends SDTrans's performance.
Instruments/Vocals are now better defined in details.

I recently purchased "K-Oku/ Toshinori Kondo and DJ Krush" and have been repeatedly listening thease days.
Toshi's trumpet is now slightly more sexy after PPS mod. ;)

I saw another japanese diyer said in his blog, he tried different PPS capacitor (panasonic ECHU) and got good result. So it's
worth trying even if it's difficult to obtain Sunring's.

Cheers.

Last edited:
To alanvcd,staccatiss,wktk_smile:
I appreciated your reports very much.

To CeeVee:
Thank you very much for expressing your interesting on SDTrans.

Today, Chiaki announced on his BBS linked to his web page that;

He succeeded in playing 384 kHz/32 bit high resolution sources with ES9018 based DAC with the setting of DPLL bandwidth parameter = "the lowest" and OSF mode="ON" without any unlock events.
In order to achieve this, he redesigned logic circuits in FPGA where I2S signals were generated based on clocks given from external oscillators and PCM data read from SD card.
In Chiaki's experiment, he used a tweaked ESS ES9018 Evaluation board and in Bunpei's, TPA Buffalo II.
Bunpei felt the new sounds are extremely remarkable. It was the first time for him that he recognized so rich details were recorded in usual 44.1 kHz/16 bit music sources.
Bass, mid range, and high range, all frequency ranges are improved in favorable ways.

To our regret, this upgrade can be enjoyed by only users of SDTrans Rev. 3.0 and tweakable ES9018-based DAC.

Last edited: