• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Microphonic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My friend has built amp that after some time starts oscilating high frequency tone (very quiet but heardable). When he knocks input tube (ECC82) it stops for some time (5-10 minutes) and then goes again. Is this caused only by tube or it can be something else?
Thanks

skyraider said:
[B...Hi, you mean the o-ring is placed in between the tube and the socket? That dampens the tube-socket contact right?

But basically the vibration from the chasis to the socket is not dampened right? And the vibration can reach the tubes through the pins i guess.. [/B]

No, the tube dampers are placed on the tubes themselves. I have two on each tube approximately 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up the tube from the base. The difference was immediate and noticeable when tapping the tubes. Much less microphonics. However when the amp is just sitting there and playing I can't say I notice anything in particular.

I suppose one could place one at the base by the socket. At first blush that does seem that it would help prevent vibrations from the chassis from moving the tubes too much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.