Micromedia Solo problem

Hello,

I'm trying to restart my micromega solo after a long period of storage. unfortunately it seems to me that the transformer is out of order. do you know the reference of this transformer and possibly a site where to buy this part?

thank you!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-12-10 à 14.30.36.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-12-10 à 14.30.36.png
    872.3 KB · Views: 83
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are you certain it is the transformer. The usual failure mode would be an open circuit primary winding.

From you picture it looks like the transformer is a standard outline 'block' type and if so there may be many possible generic replacements. You need to look at the size and pin spacings as well as winding voltage and current (VA) ratting.

Hello,

I'm trying to restart my micromega solo after a long period of storage. unfortunately it seems to me that the transformer is out of order. do you know the reference of this transformer and possibly a site where to buy this part?

thank you!
There are two transformers (the integrated DAC unit incl. the S/P-DIF creator use an extra transformer - this is in your device the blue colored, special made for print mounting) The other transformer near the back panel with yellow isolation tape is identical to those of various Philips cd players from those days.
Each transformer use it's own fuse for the primary winding (i. e. two fuse holders on the back plate).
In later series the transformer for the DAC unit was replaced by a toroidal version - go to
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/micromega-solo-cd-player-help.191732/page-3
This transformer often fail probably due it's very small sizes (significantly more material stress on the copper wire when winding - compared to normal sizes of toroidals).
For me an interesting question is, how one can replace the 4x15VAC toroidal transformer from later series by usual and good available print mounting version from first series of "SOLO" - go to
https://www.reichelt.de/trafo-10va-2x-15v-2x-333ma-ui-39-8-215-p27561.html?&trstct=pol_12&nbc=1
with only 2x15VAC.
I guess, there are differences in the voltage regulator unit for the DAC between the version of the first series and the later series.

To find out the reason in your device without function check out follow:
1) both fuses
2) main switch
3) resistance of primary winding - separately for each transformer.
To do this, always remove one of the two fuses from the holder.

Attachments

• Schaffner TES-664 2x15VAC, 0,23A.jpg
    Schaffner TES-664 2x15VAC, 0,23A.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Schaffner 2x15VAC 0,4A, BV 222-1-01262.jpg
    Schaffner 2x15VAC 0,4A, BV 222-1-01262.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 19
  • UI398BL_01.png
    UI398BL_01.png
    1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited: