Mica and Goop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are Kapton & there are Kapton.
Kapton MT, which is a thermally conductive variant, has 0.37W/m/K.

http://www.dupont.com/kapton/products/H-38497-1.html

In any case 30x worse than Kerafol. But of course one can compensate by using 30 times thinner foils, in this case it would be 3 microns ! Just need to make sure heatsink and transistor are also better than 0.1 microns flat, and do not deform under temperature. Minor details, shall we say.....

: )

Patrick

There are people (amateurs as well as professionals) who use mica, silpad, kapton, aluminium oxide, ........ As long as you know how to calculate, and you are happy that the lifetime of the transistor is not compromised, you can use what you want; just like some people use large heatsinks, some use forced convection, some water cooling ..... The choice is all yours.

The world is a wonderful place because of all these varieties. I merely tried to draw your attention to another. The only recommendation I would make is to understand the physics behind (no rocket science), and then choose the solution for yourself, be it large heatsinks, exotic insulations, ......

And if I am not wrong, Thel's power amps are class AB. So he doesn't have too much dissipation to worry about.

Patrick

Hi all
I've just installed boron-nitride washers on my latest 100 Watter - and so far the transistors (TO-3) run pretty cool.

Previously I've used mica and grease, and silicon never seemed to be quite as good. Mica+grease is typically rated at 0.4 C/W, silicone washers are supposed to be the same but seem to be not quite so good (but I have not actually measured them).

Stated performance of the boron nitride loaded silicones are 0.2 C/W. I'd say that they are performing better than the mica; but as Nelson P said, they can split and only seem to work once.

But they also cost half the price of the transistor!

cheers
John

EUVL said:
Minor details, shall we say.....
Patrick

haha, minor! 1 micron small, minor! Funny! :D

EUVL said:
There are people (amateurs as well as professionals) who use mica, silpad, kapton, aluminium oxide, ........ As long as you know how to calculate, and you are happy that the lifetime of the transistor is not compromised, you can use what you want; just like some people use large heatsinks, some use forced convection, some water cooling ..... The choice is all yours.
Patrick

Well said.

If we could all agree that the other fellow's solutions were (maybe almost) as good as our own and at least good enough, there would be much shorter and less interesting threads. ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi All,
Well, all I can say is that mica and thermal compound are consistent performers. The other types are normally used to increase manufacturing efficiency. I am not a fan of alternative insulators. They have "gottchas" it seems. I have seen many fail in service.

Last point. Watch out for conductive grease! Graphite and other electrically conductive compounds should be avoided. Why tempt fate?

-Chris

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Around here we call it Beauty Cream :)

I just dip my fingers in the jar and smear it on. I personally
don't find the pre-applied micas to have a generous enough
amount, although it's true that I have to leave my output stages
horizontal for a few days or it drips.

:cool:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nelson,
I just dip my fingers in the jar and smear it on.
LOL!
I won't let my guys do that. You know grease travels and makes a mess. Also, I don't want the stuff contaminated (8 oz jar). The artists brush naturally leans towards a thin coat that just beads around the insulator when it's torqued down. Just right.

So Nelson, what do you use to get it out from under your finger nails?

-Chris

Every so often I do a search on my own name just to see if I missed a question directed at me. This is one such time. I'm a bit late answering, but better late than never.
Gojo is a creamy waterless hand cleaner that will remove virtually anything from your hands. No, it's not harsh. In fact, I believe it has lanolin in it. It's readily available here in the US, but perhaps not elsewhere in the world.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.