Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi people, I hope someone can help me get on track. It seems the Mezmerize creates a ground loop with my Hiraga amplifier. As soon as I connect the pre to the Hiraga, a hum is present.

There is no offset present on the DCB1, I checked and double checked. So now I'm bald and still hum :)

Please help? I am thinking about isolating the output of the DCB1 or the input of the Hiraga. But that will probably result in poor sound quality. So any help on the matter is greatly appreciated!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To theoretically inspect a ground loop it takes we first have a detailed drawing of the grounding scheme for both the pre & power builds.

For a quick practical inspection first see if the Hiraga build has chassis grounding that shows continuity to its PCB signal ground also. If when disconnecting its IEC ground the hum loop stops then it needs a safe ground lift with a bridge rectifier.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's a loop breaker resistor measure many times effective. Its probable that the answer is in the amp's grounding scheme reformation because there are so many Mez builds around mated with so many different amps and its not a buffer that has been reported as hum prone in general. Given that its not malfunctioning of course.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Pictures of amp

Hi Salas,

No ground to earth whatsoever....

Could you take a quick look at the pictures of the amp?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00955.jpg
    DSC00955.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC00957.jpg
    DSC00957.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC00964.jpg
    DSC00964.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 336
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Salas,

They do not touch the trafo. Just looks like it in the picture.

No hum when no pre is connected.

What I I did wrong is not connecting the shield of the signal wiring anywhere.... So the shield has no function now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Things I will do:
-Connect the shield to ground on chassis RCA
-Put 15R resistor on ground in place of the amp boards
-Fix a 1nf ceramic from ground on chassis RCA to chassis, right next to chassis RCA

Let's see what that will do....

I will NEVER take off the earth when live...... That can be a deadly misstake :)

Hi All,
I'm in the process of populating my Mesmerize board and was stuck at the part of the "NOTE: Replace with jumper if use 12v Relays." I soldered a jumper on one of the slots where the Note is but soldered the Decoupling A (150nF/63v Metal Film Cap - Near BC517). Should both be jumped instead? What's the Decoupling A for? Will be using 12v Relays.

The resistor is there to allow a 5V relay to work with a 12V regulator feeding it.

With a 12V regulator and a 12V relay you don't need a resistor. use a link instead.

However, I found that I prefer to use a 15V regulator and then populate with a resistor to reduce the current to ~ 70% of normal 12V current. This makes the relay and the regulator run cooler, less heat inside the case and less current demand on the PSU.

One needs to add a starting capacitor to get fast switching of the 12V relay.

And don't use a reversed transistor as a crude Zener, nor should you use a Darlington as a switch.
Better to put in a driver transistor and a switching transistor into the two transistor places.

Last edited: