Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I'll try ordering 50 of the yellow LEDs you suggested, measuring, then mixing in with the reds. I took a look at my notes and all the LEDs ranged from 1.73 to 1.744, the bulk being around 1.73 V. I ordered 50 Kingbright reds from Mouser, P/N WP710A10SRC/E. Looking at the datasheet, unless I'm reading something wrong, Vf is listed at 1.85-2.5V. Mine are nowhere close to that. Did I do something wrong with my measurement? Here is what I did. 1) Fresh 9V battery. -V to Cathode of LED. 2) From +V, I attached a 1K resistor in series, the other end to the Anode of LED. 3) With LED lit, I set my DMM to VDC, ran pos. lead to Anode, Neg. lead to Cathode and noted the measurement. I could understand a few out of spec, but all 50? Surely I screwed something up.

I can send you a few yellow and red ones to play with. Not worth a big order.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

it's my first post here. Yesterday I solded the firs board and had the known and descripted problem with output relay (it doesn't run).
It seems to be a "german problem", most members with this problem wrote from germany??
I use BC517 and BC550. Transistors checked with peak atlas, decouplings (100nF and 150nF beside 7812 and BC 517) installed, resistors checked, voltage is fine (12,7V), input relay (12V) is running.
And now a phenomen: if i touch the base of 517 with my finger, the relay is running, but voltage about N4001 starts with 12V and slow down to 1,2V in a few seconds. I don't understand: what's happening there?
Must I use the Z-diode bypassing the BC550? Or do you know a trick, starting and running the output relay serious?
Many thanks
Meinolf

Hi, and welcome to posting in the forums.

12.7V if after a 7812 regulator is a suspicious reading. Should be closer to 12V. BC517 Darlington driver does not need a decoupling between B,C pins also. I would remove the bypass from the 517 and make sure the 7812 has at least 2.5V Vin-Vout and it regulates properly. (Z diode was a solution for an odd 5V relay system that would not trigger but for 12V relays to trigger there is much more voltage space for the 550's Z diode mode.)

Hi, and welcome to posting in the forums.

12.7V if after a 7812 regulator is a suspicious reading. Should be closer to 12V. BC517 Darlington driver does not need a decoupling between B,C pins also. I would remove the bypass from the 517 and make sure the 7812 has at least 2.5V Vin-Vout and it regulates properly. (Z diode was a solution for an odd 5V relay system that would not trigger but for 12V relays to trigger there is much more voltage space for the 550's Z diode mode.)

Thanks for quick reply and support.

I'm a little bit frustrated. The output and 12V partition doesn't run. I unsoldered 7812, BC550, BC517 and checked them.
The input voltage is near 18V and soldering the 7812 "solo" (without BC 550 + BC 517) output voltage is 12,9 -13.0 V!!! I used different L7812 and measured same voltages.
After that I changed every part of 12V regulation (47k, 10k, A7812, BC550, BC517, 10uF Condensator, 100nF coupling, 1N4001 controlled and measured) - but it doesn't solve the problem.

The rest ist okay (+10,7V, - 10,8V, +-2 V over R1 and so on.....)

Perhaps it is better to sleep one night. If anybody has an idea - please tell me!

Many thanks
Meinolf

Can you measure temp on the reg chip? There is much voltage across it, so it maybe gets thermal problems. Sink the reg chip if not already.

Many thanks Salas,

I never thought, that heat sink is so important, unless I only solded one Input-Relay.

But: after mounting a simple heat sink, the output relay starts working :).

Measuring voltage over the 1N4001 beside the output relay voltage starts slowly (ca. 4 sec. later) after switching on.

Reaching 6,4V the relay sounds like "grrrrr.rrr.rr.r...." and than it's okay. Voltage climbs up to 10.56V, than finishes.

The 1N4001 beside the single Input-relay shows 13,0V ??? But it seems to be okay.

Switching off power, first of all the input relay stops, than the output.

It's a great step, and many, many thanks to Salas.
Please tell me, whether discribed "grrrr..rrrr....rrr...rr..r" is okay or not? But for the moment the saturday evening is safed :D.

Meinolf

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It could be some oscillation? Replace 517 with a 550 having a compensation cap 100-150nF across C, B pins to see what happens. Never heard of relay chatter reported with 517 as driver but you never know. Maybe the relay model is not the usual Nais, Nec, Omron, we used before?

Problem solved - Mez is running

...new day - new chance:

Salas you are great and know exactly what to do. The last problem has been oszillation.
Until I unsolded the BC517 I tried to use 100nF between B and C of the BC517.

Result: starting without flutter, reaching complete voltage as like as input relays.

Consequenze:
- Don't start Mezmerize without heatsink!
- Decoupling BC517 between B and C with 100nF Cap
- any question -> ask Salas ;)
- if I can't solve a problem -> stop project and sleep one night :D (as my father told me 40 years ago)

Best greetings to the forum and I will send news after combining Mezmerize and Symasym (or F5).

Meinolf

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is 0.37 Henry with about 1kOhm internal resistance in the 12V Omron or similar parts so it would not be impossible if a bit different Ft or something between brands and batches to chance more prone to oscillate, even momentarily, but it has not been reported before with 517 that is why it seemed weird to me. That extra B,C pins capacitor cut on useless bandwidth severely so it put things back in order of course. Those I got have BC517 K916 face print and measure HFE 32000 at 5mA Ib and 1.4V VBE.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thinking of it (+12dB gain, great sounding and neutral in character, using +/-10V PSU, no coupling caps and designed in compliance with B1/Pass concepts) I came to this idea (in attachment) based on Mr. Pass' proposal from BAF2013. Having LSK/LSJ JFETs available makes this possible.
J310 CCS provides about 20mA each, LSK/LSJ JFETs work at Vds of 7.5V and with Id at about 80% of Idss. P1 enables dynamic matching/distortion profile optimizing and P2 sets the DC offset.
Preamp's max. output is about 7V_peak of clean swing.
Zout is determined by value of R9 and it's not critical (R9/R6 ratio determines the gain of the circuit) since we have a Mesmerize buffer stage next to it.
I think they will work great together. AFAIC, it would be very difficult to find a better sounding gain stage...

Salas, I want to build this amp from Juma and switch it in the circuit only when I need the extra gain. I will build them on a veroboard and like to have some capacitors for decoupling of the + and - 10 V on the veroboard. Can I use 220uF, 100uF or 10uF Silmics for this, or am I loading the output too much? With the additional caps ?
There is on the Mez PCB right now a 100uF Silmic over the MOSFETs outputs.

FWIW, I received some yellow and green LEDs in a recent Mouser shipment. Mixing and matching the reds, yellow and greens, I get the following (matched into two groups for each side of the board (2xtriplet, 2xquintet)): LED Triplet: yellow (1x1.952) yellow (1x1.947) red (1x1.733) total = 5.632V LED Quintet: green (2x2.032) red (3x1.732) total = 9.26V So, given my measurements not being at the exact ideal temp in the datasheet, error in the DMM, etc., this is as close as I can get to the target of 5.64V for the triplet and 9.4V for the quintet. To get any closer I'd have to buy more LEDs. Good enough to call it a day?

Another LED question. Looks like the power LED on the board has a 2.2K current limiting resistor. I'd like to use an orange LED for the power indicator but, with a 9V battery and a 2.2K resistor, it's blindingly bright. An 8.2K resistor in place of the 2.2K tames it a bit. Is the 2.2K resistor slot flexible? If so, how high could I go?

P.S.
Don't forget during assembly the "leg trick" if you want your rails to read closest, recent example is the SjoerdSmits story in some pages back. But the tricked one it works tonally when you run 200mA.

Post 1362 (for myself when I have to go back to find this again): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/176723-mezmerize-dcb1-building-thread-137.html However, I'm not sure I understand what that trick is and what it accomplishes exactly. I have a matched quad of 2SK170BL, around 10 mA, the other 6 unmatched are in that range as well (actually 3 matched pairs). Am I supposed to do something to these JFETs? Just when I think I understand and am ready to build, I get more confused.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To cut a long story short, normal way in Mez subjectively helps low current builds by introducing some rail asymmetry. Relaxing matching goals also. Total symmetry like standard in the hot-rod Hypno takes the trick. Around 200mA both ways sound the same. But it won't interfere with your LEDS symmetry you worked for anymore. Just do the thing with the middle leg soldered to its side leg in the photo. On that specific FET only.