Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

It's alive!!!
Haven't played music through it yet but did put a sine wave through it. One side looks slightly different than the other. Not sure it that can be heard.
The rails are +10.79 and -10.22. Nothing feels hot at all. Sine wave is very clean. With a 1.45Vac input I measure 1.39Vac on the output with the volume control at full up.

So far so good.

DUDE, I've been playing it now through my Leach Superamp for about a half hour or so. What a nice piece of gear. I have 4 other preamps, 5 counting the X-Bosoz I just about finished. This is hands down the best sounding of the bunch. Just wonderful. Vocals are beautiful. No nasty edges, just smooth. I can't wait to get this in a case so I can use properly.

Thanks to all those who made this available to the rest of us.

Blessings, Terry

I try to get that hooked up again tomorrow. I can tell by looking at the sine wave that the timing is a little off. You can see that the wave over laps on the left but has a gap on the right. I never saw that before, that's why I posted the pic. What causes that and is it adjustable? I can't hear any problems. Maybe if I can find a recording with some lone rimshots. Right now it is just playing some beautiful music.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just hooked up and run a test for you.
This DCB1 on test has a 20K discrete resistors step pot.
Conditions: Pot turned fully up, I used coax test cables for the buffer loop, 100kHz square wave and sine wave signal from the 50 Ohm main gen output through the buffer. That is the yellow trace. The blue trace is the gen's sync output directly to the DSO. I suggest you do the same to make sure nothing goes phase funny in the Y split routing.
I kept the yellow trace lower in amplitude for visual clarity. Results look error free in the time domain. Same thing for both channels.

Attachments

• CompareSQW.png
    CompareSQW.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 189
  • CompareSNW.png
    CompareSNW.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 188
I just hooked up and run a test for you.
This DCB1 on test has a 20K discrete resistors step pot.
Conditions: Pot turned fully up, I used coax test cables for the buffer loop, 100kHz square wave and sine wave signal from the 50 Ohm main gen output through the buffer. That is the yellow trace. The blue trace is the gen's sync output directly to the DSO. I suggest you do the same to make sure nothing goes phase funny in the Y split routing.
I kept the yellow trace lower in amplitude for visual clarity. Results look error free in the time domain. Same thing for both channels.

I just re-read your post. Some questions.
What is a buffer loop?
My sine wave generator only does sine wave or square wave, not both at the same time.

What is a DSO?

I can easily set it up to show generator on one channel and output on the other. I was trying to see how they compared to each other. Maybe having the generator hooked up to a Y cord cause some kind of feedback or something. I'll hook them up one at a time tomorrow.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If each buffer channel will show no time misplacement on your scope's input 1 VS the gen's sync output on scope's input 2 then there can be no time diff between the buffer channels themselves its the idea. The 100kHz square wave fidelity shown is great for an audio circuit nonetheless.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just re-read your post. Some questions.
What is a buffer loop?
My sine wave generator only does sine wave or square wave, not both at the same time.

What is a DSO?

With buffer loop I meant the gen's main output going through the DCB1 and then to the scope.

Your gen's sync output does square wave time locked to its main output all the time. Check it out.

DSO=Digital Storage Oscilloscope

Curiosity got the best of me so I went out and checked it. I don't know what I did before but I could not duplicate it. Now matter how I hooked it up, everything was dead on. One at a time, generator vs output, output vs output, Sine wave or square, not matter what, the waves lined up exactly. I obviously either had something hooked up weird or the unit just needed to burn in a little. Whatever, it is dead nuts now.

I don't understand the desire to "hot rod" this. It sounds absolutely lovely. Why make it run hotter? I'm leaving it right where it is.

Blessings, Terry

Oh, you are right, my generator does have a sinc output. However, I have no idea how to use it. :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bryston .4B, Dynaco PAS 3, Sony EP9ES, Yamaha C85, and X-Bosoz, thought to be fair, the X-BosoZ is not completed yet.

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;)

Still, we do calibrate from time to time through check ups etc. The venerable workhorse scope may has some highish ESR caps inside by now, couple of trimmers could need a bit of tweaking, who knows.

Quite a collection of preamp gear. Nice.