Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

Hi Salas,

Actually, I was more referring to the 15V transformer. The 12V and 15V are the same price and even the same physical size.
12-0-12Vac 50Va
15-0-15Vac 50Va

If the 15V is the proper transformer, folks should not have to read all the way through this thread as I did to find it.

I agree about the resistors. I think the BOM makes it clear that the builder should decide for himself how fancy he wants to go with those.

Blessings, Terry

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No worries. Don't change your order.
The reason the 12-0-12 is in the BOM, its that with 15-0-15 the low CCS examples won't work safely without sinks as they are capable for fitting them in tight integrated builds. The Hypnos are capable for ducking the Tx more since they start at 200mA, not 60, but they are not fully fledged preamps but single input special modules.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Salas,
I am building the Mesmerize and reading on the thread I decide to make some hotrod. 2 27R 5W as Rset resistor and MUR820.
I just received the trafo from Antek 12-0-12 100W. You think that I can use it or is necessary to change as 15-0-15? I am located in Korea and cost me more in shipment than the trafo himself.

Thanks, Enrico

Enrico: I would just use the 12v transformer that you already have - I don't see any problems at all. My DCB1 is biased with three parallel 20R 5W resistors (total of 6R66) and the same diodes. Total power draw is less than 15w, so I don't see any problems at all with your transformer. Even the smaller 50VA transformer still provides more than enough power for this setup.

Salas: I've got to ask, is your avatar a picture of your cobblestone patio?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its from a Portuguese cobblestone pavement in the university of Aveiro.

800px-Transistor_on_portuguese_pavement.jpg

Do have a read up of the Litespeed LDR attenuator. It's not getting particularly good press at the moment. If your results aren't quite up to scratch, try a good ALPs pot as a substitute. I'm not saying that ALPs is the bees knees, but it will point you in the right direction for improvements.

Do have a read up of the Litespeed LDR attenuator. It's not getting particularly good press at the moment.

This is likely to have been from me over in Lightspeed thread - Like most of life's problems, this one was also user error :eek: Once solved, the LDR is a great attenuator and works quite well with the DCB1!

Salas: That ink seems like an extreme measure to pass that EE exam at the end of the semester :D

Hi Salas,

Actually, I was more referring to the 15V transformer. The 12V and 15V are the same price and even the same physical size.
12-0-12Vac 50Va
15-0-15Vac 50Va

If the 15V is the proper transformer, folks should not have to read all the way through this thread as I did to find it.

I agree about the resistors. I think the BOM makes it clear that the builder should decide for himself how fancy he wants to go with those.

Blessings, Terry

I built my Mez stock with the 12V Antek, and it sounds wonderful.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think they are there should you wish to power something else from the regulator section.Use the three pads for checking the regulator output voltage; should be in the region of +-10V if I remember correctly.When mine was built I had slightly below 10V with a slight difference between the two.