metal helide lamp rebuilding

I think that you guys are talking about two different things. If you use a different lamp with its' own power supply you are not rebuilding the original lamp like some of the companies advertise they can do. I did the former with very good results (too bad the pj had more problems) . As far as rebuilding the lamp I assume they replace the actual lamp with another, but for us to do it we would have to have specific information on the original lamp like the voltage it uses, and the starting voltage. I don't know how you would find that information unless you're an electronics expert. I know that my cheap multimeter wouldn't handle the juice that these lamps use, and the manufacturer dosen't offer that information.

Possible affordable projector lamps?

Hello, I have a thought about lamps. I have a Sanyo PLV-70. Origonal lamp went a usefull 1500 hours, 1st replacement went about 200 hours before the element snapped off, OUT OF WARRENTY! 2nd replacement, a rebuilt for $250 went a usefull 600 hours (bright at first, but dimmed quickly) & last replacement a usefull 1200 hours! I have found that if I want to see the origonal lumens I've paid for, these lamps are only good for about 500 hours! Give me a break, I now need a new lamp & $400+ is a lot of money for a light bulb!!! 16mm movie projectors had 1000 watt incandecent bulbs that use to cost $4.95, not $495.00. I've seen small tube type 120vac quartz bulbs at electrical stores & Lowes that come in many different sizes & wattages including 150, 200 & 250 watts. These are usually under $10. I do not know off hand the color temprature differences in quartz & the 200w UHP lamp in my unit, but they look similar. How far off can they be that couldn't be corrected for with some fine adjustments? Ceramic cement or/& lamp sockets are available & cheap. I WONDER IF THERE WOULD BE ANY PROBLEMS IF, I simply disconnected both wires going to the lamp element & remove it. Then, carefully installed a 200 watt quartz bulb of simalar physycal size & directly connected a seperate outside wire & plug it in? (Or possibly wire it internally to a 120vac in point) Nothing went wrong with the projector when the element snapped off, effectively unplugging the connection to the lamp. I WONDER IF THE COOLING FAN OR ANYTHING ELSE IS AFFECTED BY THE LAMP LOAD? I am seriously thinking about trying this. ANY THOUGHTS???
Thanks, Jerry

If you search here, or on any of the DIY projector sites, You will see posts from people who have attempted what you are thinking about.

Generally speaking, you CAN NOT just "Swap out" bulbs in a commercial projector. The original bulb(s) are usually some type of short-arc metal halide lamp, and as such putting a halogen bulb in it's place (with no other changes) will cause it to possibly explode, possibly violently. :whazzat:

The second problem with your idea is the difference in color temp/lumen output & heat output between the two types.

The third trouble is that many of the projectors use a system to monitor the bulb, and when it burns out, is missing, or has run a certain number of hours, the system will not allow the projector to run. These systems can be bypassed, but it takes someone with a good knowledge of electronics (and projectors) to do so.

And after all of that, I'm not even mentioning the halogen's high heat/IR output, and host of other problems.

What I'm saying is...You can do what you are proposing to do, but it will be troublesome at best.

It would be better to do a total replacement of the lamp/power supply. Using something like a small metal halide lamp/ballast + Reflector.

There is no reason to try to "Re-invent the wheel" as it were. There have been many here (and at other DIY sites) that have done what you are looking to do....And found out the $$Expensive$$ way, That it's not a good idea.

Best of luck & keep us posted!

Tall Shadow

Affordable lamps

Hello Tall Shadow, Thanks for your response. I have always had the tendency to reinvent the wheel which is not a good thing. I was afraid the case might be as you state. obviously, they want to sell $400 light bulbs and have taken discouraging us doing anything about it to a fine art. For now, I am trying another rebuild for $250. I hope I get more than 600 hours out of this one! They told me I should have gotten well over 1000 hours on the last one, but did not offer to compensate me in any way. My big question is this; WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THE ELEMENTS TO REBUILD THESE THINGS & AT WHAT COST? I do have a backround in electronics & electrical. It looks to me like rebuilding a lamp is quite simple. Some ceramic cement, (an inexpensive two part materal I have worked with) a little care & common sence should do it. I have one needing rebuilt and if I can obtain the correct element would like to try it, then post the results for everyone. I have NO interest rebuilding lamps as a business. I would just like to be able to do my own and share how to do it with others like myself. ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THE ELEMENTS???

Hi Again hydeoutmountain,
I understand your frustration! Many of us here share it!

The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) can get the rebuild parts because They are the ones who contracted with the firm/plant in Asia (Or somewhere else) to have them manufactured in the first place.

Unfortunately, unless you are willing to do large (+1,000-5,000pcs) purchases, these same plants and/or their sales people will NOT sell to you. Sometimes the companies will actually have a contract to Only sell to the OEM.

I work in the Metro Detroit area, at a major Automotive electronics/data systems supplier. We frequently have custom made parts that are exclusively made/sold to us for Our products.

It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Keep reading around here (DIY Projectors Forum), and anywhere else on the net where the DIY crowd hangs out. The info is out there.....Just about everything is.

Tall Shadow