messing with a transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi mrspurious,

Mark's diagram looks correct to me. I have made many PSUs using both these circiuts and I always used toriods with dual secondaries connected in series if necessary. Build with confidence.

The concepts involved in making a PSU are very simple, but there seems to be confusion with terminology.

Most centre tap (CT) transformers are dual secondary transformers with the centre two wires joined together for you. People often separate these joined wires to make a dual secondary transformer.

There are 3 main rectification schemes, half wave (1 diode), full wave (2 diodes) and bridge (4 diodes). Bridge recification is a special form of full wave rectification and seems to be the default in audio. When people talk about full wave in audio they usually mean full wave bridge. Marks artlcle doesn't mention full wave (2 diodes) rectification only bridge full wave and dual bridge.

regards

Did anybody happen to notice that with just a simple pair of resistors for "resistor divider," then the existing transformer will do -8vdc, 0v, +8vdc at end result with just a simple linear power supply?

Or this:
sijosae.png

EDIT: See also: http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=cmoy2_prj.htm that power supply.

As promised, here is a picture of the PSU so far. This was just prior to testing the transformer output and wiring for the first time. What you can see are the two leads for each of the two 115v primaries connected together.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the first test, I just verified that each secondary was producing 25v. On the second test, I connected the adjacent 0 and +25 of the secondaries and measured 50v across the entire circuit. So far, so good. Next step is to wire the DC board. After that, the amp. I was hoping to be able to fit everything inside this one enclosure, but as you can see, not going to happen.

S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.