Merry Christmas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
....and the same here in Scotland! New snow on packed ice makes driving very dangerous! A :deer: would be more suitable transport!

Have a Happy Christmas too, everyone, especially those who have to be away from their families and friends.

And good luck,

Brian

Yep - looking forward to mid 20 degrees on the 25. Santa in a cossie - budgie-smuggling.

Personally I'm with BIlly Connolly - I prefer Hogmanaie. Its like Christmas but without God around to bugger up the proceedings.

In any case, season's greetings to all, pagan and Christian too.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration.

During the Saturnalia festival the slave class was given a (superficial) reprieve but I'm not sure the reality was that drastic.

Funny thing is birthday celebrations were considered a pagan ritual by early Christians. It's a good thing that the birth of Jesus just happened to coincide with Saturnalia, allowing that festival to be absorbed, hey?

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration.

It is held by many historians that the early Christians adopted the calanders of other religions and changed the emphisis [over a period] to the extent that the original significance was lost having been totally replaced by Christian meanings! Early example of the power of good PR exercises!! ;):deer:

Last edited:
Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration.

Sounds like the parking lot at Costco's this morning.

--Buckapound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.