Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs

Yellow Magic Orchestra, Computer Game. Awesome anolog synth stuff. Yello, The Race 12" vinyl. Formula 1 sound samples and car door slams.
Sarah McGlachlan, Into the Fire. Open D on a fretless bass although, the high end is a mess.
Heaven 17, Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry dance edit, 12" vinyl. Another fretless bass and good imaging.
Harry Belafonte, Live at Carnegie Hall. Great dynamics.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Vocals - Norah Jones - Come Away with Me, Dianne Krall - Temptation Girl in the Other Room

Percussion - Brand New Heavies - Sister Brother, Foreplay - Greatest Hits, Herbie Hancock - Rock It

Overall Clarity and Detail - Ricky Lee Jones - Ricky Lee Jones,
Steely Dan - Aja, Paul Simon - Negotiations and Love Songs, Counting Crows, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

johngalt47 said:
Diana Krall's When I Look in Your Eyes is absolutely magical!

The song "I've Got You Under My Skin" is great. I was just looking at the liner notes and it says she used a Neumann microphone. I think that is one of the reasons her voice sounds so natural.

Another reason this is such a great recording is that it was mastered by Doug Sax who is one of the founders of Sheffield Labs, the people that did those great direct-to-disc records.

This CD is a must have if for no other reason than to see how good a recording can be.

I've just bought this one, and spun it for the first time today. It's one of the best recorded CDs I've heard - ever. And what a voice!

I use:

"Yellow Saxaphone" from the mapleshade demo CD. Wonderful dynamics.

"Questions for Heaven" by Chris Rice, Smell the Color 9 CD. Very detailed track.

"Spanish Harlem" by Rebecca Pidgeon. This is an amazing track for female vocals. Simple background music allows for focus on details.

The theme music from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and some of the original orchestral music from Star Wars is also very good.

John G

billyk said:
Holly Cole, Temptation Mmmmm....

I second that... Excellent music, and an excellent recording. (Written by Tom Waits)

To that I would add:

Bela Fleck - Tales from the Acoustic Planet
Dire Straits - Any album really, but "Fade to Black" is really nice

Oh, and one of my favourites for extremely wide imaging: The Mediaeval Baebes, "Worldes Blysse" (I think that's the album I'm thinking of.. not all of their albums are equally well recorded.)

Eric Kunzel ---- Ein Strauss Fest.

Very very high dynamics record. Turn down volume / level before play this CD, if no the explosion will kill your speaker.

Regards:
Ragil Hastomo

Attachments

• l233187588f.jpg
    l233187588f.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 497
Here my own selection:

Gary Willis - No Sweat
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blues and Modern Cool
Maria Bethenia - Brasileirinho
Van Morrison - Moondance
Chris Botti - Night Sessions
Chick Corea - Light as a Feather
John Rutter - Requiem
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature and Everything must Go
Diana Krall -Live in Paris
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Bach - Psaume 51, ATMA
James Newton Howard & Friends
Rotella Thom Band
Dean Peer - Think...It All Good
Carla Lother - Ephemera
Michel Jonasz - La fabuleuse histoire de Mister Swing
Naim - Sampler No.2
Pat Coil - Steps
Bia - Carmin

JohnG316 said:

"Spanish Harlem" by Rebecca Pidgeon. This is an amazing track for female vocals. Simple background music allows for focus on details.

...and some of the original orchestral music from Star Wars is also very good.

I use Spanish Harlem a lot when I'm demonstrating the car install to someone, it took me using 25 square feet of sound deadener on each door panel to keep them from rattling any on that track :D If you have a rattle in your car, that song will find it...

I bought the "Revenge of the Sith" soundtrack recently - thought the movie sucked, but the soundtrack is very good.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

Oasis - Hindu Times (the 20 seconds before he starts singing)

Antonín Dvorák - String Quartet No.12 in F major, Op.96 "American"

And finally, Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" from the Decade album. If this one is convincing me, everything is fine.

I hate to say it... oh heck with it, I didn't really like them, but now I've very much got into their music: Goldfrapp. Any of their three albums. Ironically, Black Cherry, the one that most people seem to see as their masterpiece, I still don't like as much as Felt Mountain or Supernature. And they know how to record music -it's very well produced indeed. The SACD of Supernature is of reference recording standard.

Dire Straits - Your Lastest Trick

Hi nando,

"Your latest trick" one of my favourite test tracks along with their "Once upon a time in the West".
As you said both versions are recorded very well.

But the CD that I use to get my first impression of a system is Greatest Hits - Scorpions. It's got the Drums, cymbals, high vocals and bass guitar along with super crisp guitar riffs all in good measure.