• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Melbourne, Australia valve enthusiasts check in!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jeff,

Many thanks; I'll be there, when time/venue is finalized, will you post here, or PM?

I can bring my 6EM7 1.5W SET along - it's only little but it punches above its weight and Mohan really likes it.......

Will Mohan be coming along? No tube meet is complete without the guru - and he has the nicest 6AS7 SET I've ever heard......:cool:

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA said:
Many thanks; I'll be there, when time/venue is finalized, will you post here, or PM?

The meeting is Saturday 12 March @ 7PM here at my place in North Melbourne. I'll send you a PM with the address, etc.

Please bring along your amp.

Mohan hasn't spoken up, though I'm not sure he checks this forum regularly. I'll send him a PM.

Interseting Gathering

First of all thanks Jeff for being a great host. I've recovered from jet lag and am now happy to report my impressions.
We listened to 2 different valve amps.
The first was a 6EM7 1.5 watt SE Class A amp by Hugh Dean.
The second was Andrew's Pentode Push Pull 6V6 design.
Both amps sounded nice but very different, I used the word FAT to discribe the 1.5 Watt SE amp, very rich sounding, you never realized you were listening to such a low power amp. The push-pull 6V6 sounded very detailed, and the more it warmed up the better it sounded. Jeff had a CD player with a Kwak Clock, stepped transformer (very nice) and a pair of 3 ways that were moderately efficent 88-89dB as a guess. The music we listened to was a broad spectrum. Norah Jones, BB King, Jacques Loussier Trio, and even a little country music from an artist who's name escapes me now. :confused:
We closed out with the classic DArk Side of the Moon from Pink Floyd on Andrews Pentode PP amp. Folks in Australia definately are a graet bunch to visit with.Unfortunately I could not bring my present amp a 6C45, 300B combo, it had to stay back home in the states. Didn't want to risk bringing that through 4 airports on the way.:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.