Measurement and DSP together

I have already tried Holmimpulse (for measurement) and JRiver (for EQ) unsuccessfully. Although in theory JRiver can read what Holmimpulse produces (using "Open Live" and VB virtual audio cable) yet the setup is very unstable. After multiple tries I could not run them together with confidence. Alone both the applications run fine but together they dont hence I want to move to REW and some other app for parameteric EQ. Please help

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
REW allows to import measurements as wav audio files and can export sine sweeps as wav as well.
Maybe you can
  • export the sine sweep
  • play it back including filters
  • simultanously record the wave
  • import it back into REW

I did something similar for measuring loudspeakers in a car. I even recorded the wave using a zoom h4n portable recorder. That has the disadvantage of not having the loopback in the wav file (i added it in a wave editor) and, more surprisingly, added quite severe distorsion at higher frequency. The zoom h4n is known to do so, afaik.

I got Holmimpulse and JRiver working together. For it I abandoned the "open live" option of JRiver and used WDM driver in JRiver, the steps are as below

1) In Jriver go to Tools->Options->General->Features and enable WDM driver there. This creates a JRiver sound driver in windoze that any app can now use. Its a system wide driver which can also be seen in Windoze Sound->Playback.
2) In Holmimpulse go to "Device & Signal"->Output and choose "JRiver Media Center".
3) Keep JRiver Media center running at all times, set whatever DSP filters you want to use in JRiver, its instantaneously effective
4) Take measurement from Holmimpulse

I think the above will work with REW too. I will try

Last edited: