MDF vs. Baltic Birch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As far as health risks, both materials use the same glue. Fiber board can produce fine dust, but a proper dust collection system will help this.

With a dust collection system and a table saw the dust from MDF is tolerable on an occasional basis.

However, the real difference in dust occurs when the router comes out.
For this reason alone, I'll try to avoid using MDF in the future.

I know now this is a redundant topic, so forgive me for that.

I'm thankful to read other people's ideas on this issue.

Use a router table or shaper of you have one. Dust collection is very effective with these tools.
Using a router free hand can make things trickier, but using up spiral cutters and the proper router attachments (with dust collection) helps control dust pretty well.

But I won't deny MDF is not fun if you don't have the means to control it. And even then, it's a trick.

Most hardwood dust is toxic, oak,beech and ash for a kick off. Think about it, insects want to eat trees and trees want to stop them. The difference is that real wood looks great and smells nice so it's forgiven while MDF lacks glamour. It's funny really because MDF is basically paper which is very highly regarded. I wonder what the outlook would be if MDF were hand pressed by Japanese artisans and cost a bundle?

Aka a composite.

Is there a reason why you are going with polystyrene bead board ?
I think you are far better off with 400 weight styrofoam.
It can be purchased as small as 1/2" inch thick.

I can get bead board in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" in 4'x8' panels at Lowes. It has a plastic vapor barrier on both sides that is easily removable. Closed cell styrofoam would probably be better, but out here in the weeds, you take what you can get.

I've never worked with masonite (sorry if I am a wood snob).

I can also try 5.2mm plywood. Who knows?

Polyvinyl wood glue (aka carpenter's glue) will bond styrofoam to real wood just fine.

I can get the previously recommended PL300.

But I've never tried to bond the gloss side of masonite.

All of the 1/8" and most of the 1/4" Masonite I can get is dry pressed -- i.e. waffle pattern on one side.

As always, regardless of which adhesive you select - try it on a sample first.

Right!

Bob

plywood is wood, treated to be neutral: alternating wood grain panels. that is why in greek and french it is called "Contreplaqué": it is cross-oriented. MDF isn't wood, it is rough sawdust glued together.

Other than that i have no idea what difference they have in sound. It would be fun to make two twin cabinets using the same amount of money to buy the materials and find out which measures and/or sounds better.

the problem was acoustically speaking, what is better/ MDF or Baltic Birch?

I came here for the entertainment (of seeing what works and what doesn't and maybe a graph or chart thrown in) and information (old threads are nice, but up to date info is better) -- at least I thought that the great debate would be resolved in this thread.

Right now, skip the acoustics -- I am leaning towards BB because of reading about the MDF dust (if I ever build some speakers...).

Dang it Cal, I thought that would be informative (well it was with the dust issue), but seeing you have built a few speakers in your time, what are your thoughts on MDF vs. BB vs. TB for sound reproduction?

(TB for those uninitated is Tool Box... seriously, check out Cal's pictures -- if nothing else, they will give you a good idea on what you materials can build with).

Last edited:
Apart from the fine MDF dust (much finer than ply sawdust) which gets everywhere and is NASTY, MDF tends to swell on edges, because it has so many gaps- they use the least glue they can. If more glue were used (resulting in heavier product) it'd be stronger and more expensive and heavier and probably better overall for speaker cabinets.

As is, it screams "cheap" to me. Add in the working properties (which I hate) and it's something I'd rather use OSB than.

I think MDF or particle board is ok for shelf bracing or the TL part of a TL or the steps in a Nagaoka horn but for the shell, I use plywood. Regardless of what material is better from a scientific point of view, the plywood just sounds better to me.

MDF is nice to cut though. After bucking the plywood, MDF just seems to go through the blade like butter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.