MDF Finish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Haven't done the piano gloss stuff on speakers, and don't want to. Used to finish guitars and am just too lazy to do this tedious process anymore. :D

So I did these speakers the easy way. Gloss Formica. About $30 USD for a 4' x 8'. It's the thin stuff which doesn't show much of the edge. Take a look - forgive my crappy .9 megapixel camera, yes I said .9 (taken a while back, now I have a Sony W1) ;)

Attachments

• audax4.jpg
    audax4.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 605
kec said:

So I did these speakers the easy way. Gloss Formica. About $30 USD for a 4' x 8'. It's the thin stuff which doesn't show much of the edge. Take a look - forgive my crappy .9 megapixel camera, yes I said .9 (taken a while back, now I have a Sony W1) ;)

That is a lovely finish with the black gloss vaneer, does anybody know where i can buy Formica in the UK?

I need 2 sheets as i burnt a pot cooking some pasta and i took it off the hob only to burn the kitchen counter :hot: 10 seconds is a long time.

Your didnt get the formica in Home Depo did you Kec?

I am current looking for a way to get a stunning finish that is not in used by any company.

I am thinking about getting brass or copper sheets cut too size and covering my bookshelfs made from redwood, the only problem is finger prints galore! and they scratch so easy:mad:

My friend owns a metal super market and he have hundreds of sheets of mild steel, high carbon steel, alumium, brass and copper in many grades and a massive guillotine that can cut anything up to 6mm.

1mm sheets of brass cubed would look beautiful i think, it would add nothing to the sound quality apart from make the box heavy.

Has anybody clad there boxes in steel or plastic coat epoxy or anything strange that made it look like a million pounds:angel:

Thanks Paradise_Ice,

Your didnt get the formica in Home Depo did you Kec?

No, not Home Depot. There's a place called Ganahl Lumber. I had to order it, got it the next day.

I have no idea where you could get Formica in the UK. Try some cabinet shops, you may be able to have them get it for you.

I did use the matte finish Wilsonart laminate (in stock at Home Depot) for one of my subs.

Attachments

• sub3b.jpg
    sub3b.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 454
audio-kraut said:
The truckbed liner can look great - but some prep is needed. You have limited time to work it, as it is epoxy based and contains a hardener. Should only be used in well ventilated areas - i.e. out doors.

[digression]Does anyone know if truck bed liner (specifically, Line-X) can be painted? I recently bought a pair of enclosures covered in the stuff, and while I love the texture I would love to have them be British Racing Green instead of black.[/digression]

Has anyone thought of using Venetian plaster on their speakers? It's not cheap ($30/gal for the Behr stuff at HD), but there is a pretty wide palate of colors offered and it's pretty easy to use. I'm in the process of doing my powder-room in the stuff and it looks great does a great job of hiding flaws in the wall, e.g. the odd gouge from where someone was over-exuberant in trying to remove wallpaper glue. In a speaker, it would probably work best as an accent (i.e. either cheekpanels or baffle, but not all over), but I bet it would look great and seriously up the WAF of any speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.