MDA fuse for a glass fuse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The BR3 looks fine to tests, 1 way resistance around 400 ohm for each pin pair, open other way.
I think the inrush is what is killing the fuses.
I got a working pre amp in this thing without these 2 fuses or a working power amp set. In fact I can remove the power amp boards and it still works as a pre.

Cool.
Srinath.

I know which I would rather have in the mains supply to the transformer.
Yes it means I have to fit a soft start, but that is a small price to pay for a factor of 20 faster fuse blow.

IMHO fuses are not there to protect your equipment from fault, fuses are there to protect your house wiring from faulty equipment.
If transistor is protected with a fuse, transistor will always blow first :D

Fuses are there to protect all downstream components including the wiring from setting fire to the house.
I will still close rate my fuses and I will continue to argue that a close rated fuse is safer than a "conventional" fuse because it does not tolerate overloads as well. That "safer" includes the FACT that the close rated fuse blows far more quickly than a much larger fuse value.

I got new slow blow fuses in ... and without speakers connected it does not blow them fuses.

When speakers are connected - It blows them in a few seconds.

I also feel the heat sink get very hot. I think I have a output or 2 that is shorting to ground.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.