MayDus, PCM2706/CS4398 USB DAC w Transformer output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi freddi, Just Googled that Banzai CMOY. A nice portable headphone amp. Not sure on that JRC opamp. I have heard the JRC4558. Not impressed with that one maybe the 4560 is better? The headphone amp I built is not portable. It needs a good power supply. Current hungry with the Buff03. If you Google Buff03 you will see a Headwise project using that chip. I was inspired to build my version based on that one. I wanted some gain so put the AD8065 in there. It beats my cousins Cary90 tube preamp when used as a preamp in a head to head test. :)

I like the cs4398 with edcor's.
Granted I've only tried it with my Lehmann BCL clone and goldring dr-150 headphones.
Detailed, dynamic, good all around. Especially considering the cost. I like my TDA1541A dac better, but that is a much more expensive build.
I opted for the bigger edcor's as there wasn't much of a price difference.
Writing from my cellphone so I'll keep this post short.

might the ~$32 Jensen sound better/worse or just different in a CS4398 situation? are there DAC which give better overall result with transformers than 4398?

here's a picture of the little DAC I picked up - (is that board recognizable?) its dead quiet with
the outboard SMPS - maker suggested it could sound better with a battery
scaled_DSCF0230.JPG

Hi freddi, Wow. That's a tough question. I have heard the Lundahl LL1690 on a CS4398 dac. As another contributor mentioned it may be that the CS4398 is just a laid back sounding dac. My Sheldon Stokes dac is quite good. CS8416, CS8421 and CS4398 as I recall. My cousins CS4397 based dac with WSM Edcors is really quite nice. Comes closer to a well implemented R2R or TDA1541A sound (when done right). I could easily live with his dac if I had to. I have read good things about the Jensen transformers. Some have stated they sound better then Edcors. I have never had the chance to do a comparison. I think it depends on turns ratios and impedence when comparing transformers. I like the Edcors for what they are, low cost, good core material and they perform well without any odd zoebel networks across the secondary to kill ringing. My Lundahl LL1690's had advanced permalloy plates and required an anti-ringing filter. Ringing was clearly audible without the zoebel. A zoebel is a resistor and capacitor in series across the secondary winding. So it is possible that the Jensen could be better on your dac then the Edcor. As I mentioned before I have had very good results with a current out dac using an AD844 (Pedja designed) I/V stage and running that into the Edcor transformer. So in that case the transformer is still used as a voltage device. Your dac? Most CS4398 dacs are all using a datasheet implementation. I don't remember seeing this one however it should be similar to the others out there. Agreed battery power should be the best power source. It's also a very good sign that the dac is designed well if it is so quiet on a SMPS supply. Earlier I gave you a link to the long transformer thread, I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask a question there and see if anyone chimes in on the various transformers. Tamuras, Cinemag, Edcor, Jensen and many others have been tested on that thread. Sadly it is hard to compare without a reference. Everyone will have a differing opinion. Having said that the Jensen is a good choice for your project. $32 is not a bank breaking cost. If you try that let us know what you think. :)

Hi Ryssen, The LL1690's seem to be very good and also very expensive. :) The dac is very musical and I think the term is "lush" sounding. Really outstanding with stringed instruments and electric guitars. The dac at first, had a hard edge to the sound. With the datasheet recomended capacitor and resistor across the secondary it becomes very analog like. Voices sound real. I think it also takes 50-100 Hours to really open up. Permalloy? Degaussing? My comments about the details maybe due to my reference being a version of the TDA1541A dac. CS4398 dacs with opamps I found to be somewhat disappointing. The transformers really make a difference for the better. Unfortunately I have not tried a different set of transformers. Maybe a good experiment to try in the future? What is your experience with the CS4398? Did you try transformer output?

the builder of my little 4398 dac thinks 1/4 watt Edcor is big enough iron - what's your opinions?
I think the price difference between the trafos is so smal so you might as well get the big one. :)

Has anyone tried direct capacitor outpout with cs4398?
I tried it on AK4396 but it sounds better with a trafo,the cap is not so clear sounding.

Last edited:
I'll eventually pick up the 2.5W units but will have to find someone else to do the work as can't see very well plus only slung solder in tube stuff.

there may be some flavors to different iron. I've hooked up a $10 (at the time) Belkin in-wall transformer to regular CD player as volume control - for frequency response, it measured very well even down to its maximum attenuation but its contribution (very pleasant - not sure how hard on opamp) could be heard on a little Karlson which was loaded with Beta 8cx and APT50 on a tenor with guitar CD. Likewise, a Promitheus TVC's harmonics can be heard in A-B comparison on a horn system - oddly that seemed to make the 3 drivers and funky Klipschorn style crossover blend more cohesively.

Hi Ryssen, Did some experiments with my CS4398, LL1690 dac. I found some improvement by going to shorter length cables with lower capacitance. The "details" are better. I think it is worth trying several different cable. It seems you can "tune" the dac somewhat. My best results was with a homemade cable made from a double run of RG179U (If memory serves). That has Teflon insulation Silver wires and a FEP jacket. :)

Hi freddi, I use one of those flourescent lighted work lamps with a magnifying glass in the center. Makes working on things much easier. I am very far sighted now that I hit 50. Can see street signs and read them from great distance, just don't see well up close. I will be putting my Edcor 2.5 watt transformers into a bud box with a shield between them. Trying to protect from ac line noise etcetera. Stray magnetic fields. The Edcors don't have the MU metal that Lundahls have. I do prefer transformers over opamps or capacitors in dac's. :)

Hi Ryssen, Did some experiments with my CS4398, LL1690 dac. I found some improvement by going to shorter length cables with lower capacitance. The "details" are better. I think it is worth trying several different cable. It seems you can "tune" the dac somewhat. My best results was with a homemade cable made from a double run of RG179U (If memory serves). That has Teflon insulation Silver wires and a FEP jacket. :)
When the hollidays is over in about a week I can order mine LL1690 from Lundahl and start listening.:)

Hi Ryssen, Did you try the LL1690? I have made a few experiments. Made a few changes to my home built preamp. I replaced the wires to my 50K 23 step Chinese attenuator. Also tried an Alps blue conductive plastic potentiometer. Big difference in sound quality. Still prefer the attenuator. The heavier wire helped bass response. I will be giving the CS4398 and LL1690 another listen this week. Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.