Max's Behringers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Dan,
sorry for my misuse of the language ... but English is only my fourth language :eek:
But i can assure you that i am trying to improve also with the help of friends here :)
No worries mate...us oldies don't know all the SMS abbreviations.

Thanks you very much indeed.
As i said i have a pair of these speakers.
So i am very interested in any mod that can make them sound better.
Actually i was thinking to put another pair of woofers ... smaller and better.
Like two very good 6-7" ... they are crossed high at 2kHz
Maybe a little high for a 8"
But i will read carefully your new ... thread :D
Kindest regards, gino
I would stay with the original arrangement...Behringer engineers have done their sums here, and I think the design is reasonably close to ideal really....for the purpose intended.
The damping experiment is one that I have theorised/wanted to try for a long time.
In practice I find it works really well as I have stated.
The other mod so far is virtually nil inductance cable connecting the drivers.
This is 0.8 mm enamelled wire twisted pairs, about 12'' long.
This is plenty enough copper for the task, and low inductance connection is mandatory in my experience.

Gino you can start with just changing the cables...I bought new Molex connectors and spade connetors and made two replacement looms.
This should give you great benefit first off.

Dan.

MaxH,
English to HaXoR (leet-speak) Translator | ypass.net

It's not an sms speak but more of IRC and instant messaging speak. The later is where it's popularity gained notoriety. The IRC speak stemmed from before the www days.

I remember 10 years ago some kid asking me if I had been to so n so (gaming) website. When I sad no he looked flabbergasted and said where have you been? Quite sarcastically IMA. So I said, Everywhere you haven't been. ;)

The damping experiment is one that I have theorised/wanted to try for a long time.
In practice I find it works really well as I have stated.
The other mod so far is virtually nil inductance cable connecting the drivers.
This is 0.8 mm enamelled wire twisted pairs, about 12'' long.
This is plenty enough copper for the task, and low inductance connection is mandatory in my experience.
This is something that would benefit a lot of people if they truly understood the significance - it's worrying about the small, seemingly insignificant deatils that can be crucial for getting the performance that one is really after.

A lot of thinking in this forum reminds me of someone who buys a Ferrari, and immediately rips the engine, gearbox and suspension out of it - so that he can replace them with parts that he likes for various reasons, to "make it work properly" ...

This is something that would benefit a lot of people if they truly understood the significance - it's worrying about the small, seemingly insignificant deatils that can be crucial for getting the performance that one is really after.

A lot of thinking in this forum reminds me of someone who buys a Ferrari, and immediately rips the engine, gearbox and suspension out of it - so that he can replace them with parts that he likes for various reasons, to "make it work properly" ...
Yes, that approach around here is all too common
My approach at present is to keep the electronics essentially in factory condition, and only to change the dumb things like in this case, acoustic damping and physical wiring.
Nowadays electronics is usually actually designed correctly, with physical implementations letting things down....perhaps.
The preamp and these speakers are full of 4580 opamps....nothing flash by 'audiophile' standards/fashion, but I reckon they sound perfectly fine, and I don't feel inclined to change them.

This 'junk' Behringer system (plus old Kenwood CDP) provides all the precise detail, clarity imaging and above all musicality that any listener could ever want.

Frank, I listened to the four Mooly recordings of the SY recording.
First off the recording is useful for highlighting some depth/LR imaging, but otherwise is a piece of junk, musically and technically.

The four recordings are crap also, unfortunately the clipping/distortion events spoil the party.
1 - Awful/unlistenable.
2 - Okish, but still not very good.
3 - Awful/unlistenable.
4 - Awful/unlistenable.

I have lost track of events...is there a new version of the four recordings without the distortion, and is the original SY recording available ?.

Dan.

Are you sure you're talking about SY's recording - the versions are in LT1 ... ?
Yes, for example LT1, track 1
LT-1-1.png

LT-1-2.png

The clipping events are of long enough duration to ruin the track/listening experience/listening test.
Is the clipping event I highlight in the orinal recording, or in Mooly's transfer ???.

Dan.

Last edited:
Yes, for example LT1, track 1
View attachment 447299

View attachment 447300

The clipping events are of long enough duration to ruin the track/listening experience/listening test.
Is the clipping event I highlight in the orinal recording, or in Mooly's transfer ???.

Dan.
Yes, Mooly mentions overloading when creating the samples, and the other tests suffer from it as well - he has a problem in the record chain, which he is aware of, and he doesn't know how to sort it out.

Whenever one mentions intelligent tweaking it's interesting that someone then has to call it "magic" - all those after-market car tuning places should be called "Magic Shops" or something ...

You are dealing with a foot of wire. What was the inductance of the stock wire?
Don't know/don't care.
What is the inductance of your replacement?
Don't know/don't care.
What does the difference buy you?
Speakers I can stand be bothered to listen to.
Is there an inductor on the output of the power amps?
No. I gave the schematics in my first post.

Dan.

You are dealing with a foot of wire. What was the inductance of the stock wire? What is the inductance of your replacement? What does the difference buy you? Is there an inductor on the output of the power amps?

Hi and sorry to be OT ... but this point is very interesting to me.
I would be short. First i am quite ignorant but i have read than in general an inductor is very bad for current.
And where i find them ? at the output of an amp, in series with a woofer .. exactly in the worst places where a free flow for current would be very welcome ! :eek:
the path should be of very low inductance :confused:
Is there a way to avoid this ?
If you open a new 3D please alert me ... i hate inductors ... expecially where they are mostly used
Current must flow unimpeded in my understanding
Am i missing something ? :confused:
Thanks a lot and kind regards, gino :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi and sorry to be OT ... but this point is very interesting to me.
I would be short. First i am quite ignorant but i have read than in general an inductor is very bad for current.
And where i find them ? at the output of an amp, in series with a woofer .. exactly in the worst places where a free flow for current would be very welcome ! :eek:
the path should be of very low inductance :confused:
Is there a way to avoid this ?
If you open a new 3D please alert me ... i hate inductors ... expecially where they are mostly used
Current must flow unimpeded in my understanding
Am i missing something ? :confused:
Thanks a lot and kind regards, gino :D

3D = Thread for those unaccustomed to Gino-speak.
An inductor is a low pass filter and if sized appropriately will allow the correct amount of current at lower frequencies to flow through unimpeded. That is why they are used between the amp and woofer in a passive XO. They are also used very successfully in class D amps to filter the carrier freq (400kHz and above) so that even the tweeter gets the audio range HF it needs. There is nothing wrong with an inductor when properly designed and implemented. The inductance of a short length of straight wire vs the inherent inductance of a voice coil is negligible in the audio frequency range.

3D = Thread for those unaccustomed to Gino-speak.

Hello ! :D sorry ... it is stronger than me :eek:
yes i meant thread of course

An inductor is a low pass filter and if sized appropriately will allow the correct amount of current at lower frequencies to flow through unimpeded. That is why they are used between the amp and woofer in a passive XO. They are also used very successfully in class D amps to filter the carrier freq (400kHz and above) so that even the tweeter gets the audio range HF it needs. There is nothing wrong with an inductor when properly designed and implemented. The inductance of a short length of straight wire vs the inherent inductance of a voice coil is negligible in the audio frequency range

Well ... thank you very much indeed for the very helpful advice.
I will never hate inductors again
I have been confused by some readings clearly
Thanks again. Kind regards, gino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.