materials for amplifier enclosures: why not wood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a great deal on 2U rackmount computer cases on Craigslist, but they are too small for anything but some class-D amplifiers.

Maybe I will just build up the amplifier on a piece of plywood or mdf until I have it fully tested and working, at which point I will break down and buy some proper DIYaudio amp chassis.

Why not use fans? The chassis was designed for it. Super slow fans have way better heat transfer while still being essentially silent.

Why not use fans? The chassis was designed for it. Super slow fans have way better heat transfer while still being essentially silent.

Because I will be using a few huge can-style computer grade capacitors, and they take up way too much room unless they are standing upright. I really need a 4U or 5U size chassis if I want to "do it right".

A couple of years back I built a pair of fan-assisted 3-channel IRS2092 class-D amps and SMPS inside a wooden case, and it worked out nicely. Unfortunately, this build can't quite be as compact as that one was...

I know that metal provide some degree of shielding from EM radiation, etc. but could one just as well build an amplifier enclosure using wood, e.g. some nice hardwood? By "could" I mean without suffering terrible consequences in performance of the amplifier compared to an all metal enclosure.

The reason I ask is that I will be putting together a few amplifiers in the near future and while I have heatsinks a plenty I am really hesitant to drop several hundred dollars (at a minimum) on chassis!

There are several examples of audio manufacturers that do not use metals for chassis:
Mains Independent Power Amplifier - MIPA 30 w
DNM Design Principles, Page 3 of 5 - Materials Technology
6moons industryfeatures: Bernard Salabert of PHY-HP (Mr Salabert made a wood chassis for his mag-amp)
NVA Index Frame

The listed use wood or acrylic.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.