material with highest absorption coefficient at low frequencies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rockwool(sheet)

Attachments

• rockwool.jpg
    rockwool.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 205
crazyhub said:
very well said Svante!
thadman, fiberglass and rock-wool has almost the same absorptive data if same compression (so same weight). Any store of products for heat insulation has large range of products...the more density, the more absorption in the bass range.
Follow what said Svante, he is right; if you don't have enough room to place rock-wool panels at least 1m far away from walls you will not get any low-bass absorption.;)

Does Rock wool have the same acoustic properties as Corning Owens Rigid Fiberglass for a given density?

Also, I heard it mentioned that higher density lends itself to reflecting higher frequencies whereas lower density absorbs less. Why not cover the front with low density fibers and then progressively transition to denser fibers?

Should I even bother myself with reflections (ie density argument) off the fibers at the frequencies im concerned with (10-100hz) or just go with the densest fibers I can find?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
thadman said:

Does Rock wool have the same acoustic properties as Corning Owens Rigid Fiberglass for a given density?

Rockwool is denser to start with, it has better sound dissipating properties than fiberglass.

Also, I heard it mentioned that higher density lends itself to reflecting higher frequencies whereas lower density absorbs less. Why not cover the front with low density fibers and then progressively transition to denser fibers? [/B]

In order to dissipate sound waves in the low bass range, you have to take the wavelength in consideration. The material has to be thick enough to react with as much of the wave as possible. This thickness can be reduced by having the wave bounce back through it, or back and forth - such as a bass trap.
The average listening room with window drapes and furniture and carpet may have enough treatment for high frequency.
Better to concentrate on midrange to low.

Ron E said:

I think you need to back up and start at the beginning. Describe the problem.

Lead also has very good acoustic properties.
Are you building a sub? or just being scientific about it. If a studio (or public-interior use) you need to be careful with fire (fireproof materials). Please give some more details where you want to go.

Attachments

• img_pb.gif
    img_pb.gif
    19 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.