Matching a MarkAudio Alpair with a woofer

Hi all diyers,

I have Alpair drivers in the pencil enclosure. I have no complaints. I would like more life out of it. I listen to a lot electric blues and old rock.

I found the https://www.speakerdesignworks.com/halcyon design, it seems very interesting as it adds two small woofers. So the enclosure is nice and small (9 inch face). Since I can control the WAF factor, would it be «better» to use one 12 inch driver of simiar value as the two SB Acoustics 6 inches ?

Does it impose more difficult blend for the sound of the two drivers ? Is it more difficult to make the crossover, it will be my first one.

Thanks for your advice,

Walter

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A WAW is certainky a solid idea. My favorite woofer is NLA so search continues for a new one.

There is a HUGE set of choices for helper woofers, since you don’t have to worry about the HF (say above 1kHz), you don’t have to worry about where they are usually weakest. So you are mostloy interetsd in there bass performance, and cabinet size. At the frequencies you will be XOing at, biamping is strongly suggested — you hjave a spare amp in the closet?

The A10.3 is on the large size for a WAW if going from scratch but it will allow a lower XO (althou narrow cabinet might be a greater dictator of where teh XO goes). It will also allow gretae rpootential levels, and with helper woofers bass is pretty much a question of how many resource syou put into them

Halcyon is a first rate box, there is a thread here. On revisitng the concept Curt agrees there could be some simple improvements.

For one, with multiple woofers you can take advanatage of push-push to dramatically reduce cabinet vibrational energy (ie potential cabinet resonances, with the side effect of potentially reducing enclosure cost) and allow for a narrow enclosure. Tysen is a good example of woofer sused this way.

Tysen-V2-extents.gif

These use the onkly woofer i have used that is currently available (and incredible value), but with the A10.3 you’d want to use 4. In teh Woden ML-TL they won’t go lower than the Pensil but would provide more bass, more potential mid/upper bass, and relieve the FR of bass duties improving its mid/top performance.

But unless your budget is tight you migth want to use pairs of drivers that go lower.

The A10.3 i would recommend putting into a midTL, this an example (matches the footprint Mar-Ken for the A12pw (my old favourite now NLA :^( Or straight out the back like Tysen. Both heavily tapered.

A10-midTL-extents.png

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the elaborate answer David,

lots of info to digest.

I guess you recommend XOing much lower than 150 hz because of side woofers. Side push-push sounds very good ?
With another amp comes the possibility to use minidsp. Is it more or less expensive than a passive crossover?

I would like to do a separate box set, one based on the Halcyon for the Alpair and one to be determined for the woofers.

I do have a Rel sub so under 40 Hz no problem.

I have to do some thinking.

Walter