Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do you know ?
It will be the sum of the parts.

Over the years i have accumulated quite extensive experience with various materials, used either as shelves under components, or as a plinth or layer of a plinth.

Granite is just horrible, even when sandwiched between wood. Slate is much better, probably due to it being more lossy, but after a short while becomes similarly tiresome.

I just marvel at people who destroy the sound of classic turntables in slate plinths. It always seems to reduce low level detail and impose strong resonances, particularly on the low frequencies. Yet, some listeners seem to crave this specific signature.

Interestingly, i still have a slate plinth which doesn't appear to show the familiar "stone" signature. It belongs to a suspended deck, the slate is not a single piece, but instead is glued together out of a large number of thin and narrow strips.

Platine Verdier.
The one on the picture has a high-density fiber plinth, painted.
Was also available with a granite mix plinth, granito-like.

(I made a copy with an epoxy granite plinth in the late '80s, from the Verdier construction article/drawings in l'Audiophile. After a lot of trial and error, still didn't manage to get the bearing right, eventually switched to a standard bearing)

This is definitely off topic....but since we are talking about clones...has anybody ever tried to clone a MIT cable? Their networks seem to be their secret and there is no way that top oracle speaker cable can be $40K.
Ifi knew what there is inside that box I bet it would cost 1/30th of that price!!!

I have terminated my super low inductance loudspeaker cable with it´s wave impedance at high frequencies with a zobel. That gave an audible improvement.
I know that MIT makes special cables for Spectral. They are very wideband and may even have an overshot that the cable terminates. RF is also more and more a problem so bandwidth limiting to a certain degree may improve the sound. Also many digital sources have aliasing and i think that is not allowed. Curryman made a DA conveyer with my inductive output buffer with a second order bessel filter over 20kHz. It totally removed the usual spittyness.

Hi there bright and knowledgeable folk making DIYaudio worth visiting.
Do we have to unsubscribe due to your digression (exkurs) into tt design and now super special cables? Hope not....

FOCUS on the original topic, please...yes.....:)

Hey who are you?
Nice to know there are more people following my thread! It's funny...now we can't have little digression on our thread?? :D:D:D

Masterpiece first prototype is coming to an end and this week layout will be ready to be sent for manufacturing.
BTW this week am also getting a new balance signal cable for masterpiece...which by accident turned out to be MIT oracle V1.2 :D;)
:cool:

Update:

Layout is complete and I will submit it in the next couple if days.
I also had a chance to try the new cables on the system.

I really like the sound of everything.

Anyway I will post pictures when board will arrive.
I forgot to say that it is 4 layers and I decided to use Texas naked resistor across the audio board and smd bjts while psu uses smt resistors.

More updates to come.

Stefano,
Even if you do not want to supply any boards could you publish the artwork for the boards when you have completely finalized your design? As long as we use the devices that you have designed around we should be able to achieve close to what you have done if we can't exactly match component pairs as you have done.

Nice, I am very happy there are so many people interested.

There is still some work to do, first prototype is going out probably tonight after it gets back in there will be a lot of work to fully test it and identify any possible issue with it.
Anyhow thanks to all for following this so closely. :djinn:
:cool:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here is the basic structure of the input gain cell. It looks very simple on the surface but works better then expected. The way i have drawn it, it is made for battery supply.
There can be many improvements being made, better PSU rejection by CCSs, lower noise etc. but try this before you draw conclusions.

Joachim 570R isn't a standard value could I use 576R? Is necessary yo use the balanced input or how can I use without balanced input?

TIA
Felipe

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.