Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You really should think of taking some kind of diplomacy lessons somewhere.

Do we know each other? I am trying to remember, but I don't think so.

Beside don't see what's the problem with my statement.
Anyhow...I would rather have no arguments on this thread and your answer is kind of provoking, so please just let it go.

If you want to comment on here, please something that has to do with the thread!! :cop:

Thanks.

No. this remained just a study, I drifted into CFB for power amps. Now looking at this again, I see fantastic options for forming a CFB structures around it making it into something spectacular. But that is another story.

Now the balanced input, novel folding and JG's special Jfets is on the table, something good in terms of a Riaa should be possible. Wonder if one could find a model of that Jfet, sure somebody somewhere must have made one...:)

you idea sounds very, very exciting to me.
Thanks for your precious inputs.
I will be looking for a model online, if you find it in the meantime, please let me know.

Holger is well known and part of this society by default.
It is your choice to know him better or not.
First we have to identify the part in question. Here is a selection guide :http://www.eurica.ru/sound/InterFET_Corporation_Databook.pdf
First you have to learn that ultra low noise comes with a measure of rather high input capacitance. Stefanoo, i can not help but you have to study the unavoidable before you claim superiority.

Joachim,

I am glad to get to know everybody, but I don't understand why people here are all so bitter!!
I mean I don't think that my statment "let's work together for something more advanced" needed such a hursh comment overall.

The link you posted is a databook of 159 pages :eek:

Also, don't get your last stament:

"Stefanoo, i can not help but you have to study the unavoidable before you claim superiority."

Would you mind explaining I am probably mis-understanding!

P.S. my name is Stefano (not Stefanoo as you can see at the bottom of my signature)

Stefano,
Just keep on going forward. You will get help from those that can help and are willing to give of their knowledge. Some may just have much pride wrapped up in what they have created before you and would not want to think they are being upstaged. You do seem to have a very advanced understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. I would love to help but my knowledge is useless in this endeavor. Best of luck to you, and sometimes you will learn more by your trials and errors than getting it right the first time you try. Failure often leads to success as long as you continue to learn and move forward. Best luck,
Steven

Stefano without double o.
How can i explain ? Maybe i am a bad teacher.
Until you do not have a working circuit and you do not put that in public so that at least a numeral part of the community has a chance to setup that circuit in their own system you will be alone. "We" simply do not trust quotations like " that and that capacitor is so superior that a it is a joke that so few use it ". I could challenge you big time but that does not make sense to me. I am at this moment not 100% convinced that you understand the quality difference between topology and use of exotic components. my impression is that you are stuck in prejudice and i say that because i actually think that you bring in an interesting twist into the proceedings. If you want my contribution you have to accept my criticism.

Stefano,
Just keep on going forward. You will get help from those that can help and are willing to give of their knowledge. Some may just have much pride wrapped up in what they have created before you and would not want to think they are being upstaged. You do seem to have a very advanced understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. I would love to help but my knowledge is useless in this endeavor. Best of luck to you, and sometimes you will learn more by your trials and errors than getting it right the first time you try. Failure often leads to success as long as you continue to learn and move forward. Best luck,
Steven

Thank you Steven.

I really appreciate it and very encouraging!!

Stefano without double o.
How can i explain ? Maybe i am a bad teacher.
Until you do not have a working circuit and you do not put that in public so that at least a numeral part of the community has a chance to setup that circuit in their own system you will be alone. "We" simply do not trust quotations like " that and that capacitor is so superior that a it is a joke that so few use it ". I could challenge you big time but that does not make sense to me. I am at this moment not 100% convinced that you understand the quality difference between topology and use of exotic components. my impression is that you are stuck in prejudice and i say that because i actually think that you bring in an interesting twist into the proceedings. If you want my contribution you have to accept my criticism.

Joachim,

I accept contructive criticism.
Yes you can challange me anytime, I don't question that.

Regardin the part of exotic parts and working circuit, maybe you are not fully aware of, but I had the paradise working for over a week or so and I made mods to it.
I tried many different quality parts on strategic places and I speak in this matter with knowledge by saying that there are parts that make significant different to final sound the ELCAP being one of them
If you don't want to hear it, that is fine, I won't mention it to you again.

Also, I had the concept prototype up and running too and got stuck on some dead end that you all know and that is why now I am restarting over because the circuit I had thought doens't work the way I wanted to at lest not for a phono equalizer.
So as you can see I am looking for interaction here with who is interested in this project and I hope you are one of them because you are one of the most regarder members along with few others that I would really love to have on the thread.
IT is not just me making concept desing making prototype, tweak it and then give it all away.
The point for a public page like this is to have all of us working on it, that's all.
For instance MiiB came out with a nice concept design...and I Will be working on it and share results, possible arrangement and so on.

Anyway...I am at home with fever now, so probably my words don't make much sense, so I will quit it here...and I hope I Was able to communicate what my thoughts were.

You made modifications to the Paradise that resulted in a better sound for you.
That makes sense to me. We have made the Paradise R3 boards anyway in such a way that you can use an external RIAA and an external Power Supply. I understand that you do not have that boards so you may not know that feature.
Concerning parts selection, i have my favorite parts too but they are usually not from boutique suppliers because i found that huge caps spoil the layout and often give an overblown sound that is not natural. Challenging you would in that sense would mean that i say : that and that cap is superior and you say : no, it is this and this.
What i am very interested in is how you got rid of the elcaps without introducing new problems like noise.

Understood. Well, Audio is very subjective unfortunately so you are right you could say something sounds bad while to me sounds good.
However I would love to challenge you :) to listen to the Teflon custom capacitor against any other standard film cap available at mouser or digikey and then tell me it sounds equally or worse.
Believe me I don't care about boutique parts and I would rather spend less if quality is not compromised contrary to what the majority here thinks of me.
Maybe I haven't tried the specific caps you have and I don't question that you have done your subjective evaluation on the parts you use.

Unfortunately we are too far to arrange a test so I will drop this subject and leave it to the people who will want to try to get a custom capacitor for their paradise board.

Regarding the ELCAP, I was unable to get rid of it due to gain issue BJTs and not.
You could get rid of it with BJT too by just isolating the 2 bias current through a low value resistor, too bad this operation drops significantly the gain down.

However I changed "type" and vale for the capacitor, it significantly impacted the sound although I can still clearly hear its effect on the lower part.
Like I said RIAA has a abs 0.1dB precision that could make better but I didn't have the resistor value for it, nevertheless with the Texas resistor this problem can easily be overcome.

The way i work is the following :
Send me a measurement that proves that your parts choices are better, for example the Teflons. If it can not be proven in measurements i have to hear the change in my system.
If i hear a difference and it sounds better i accept that. I also have numerous twaeks in my system that are hard to measure but easy to hear. For example how i power and ground my system and the mechanical things i do. Just on the weekend i had an old Audio Physic Caldera for update and repair. I put them on my granite floor in an optimum position and they sounded just fine. Something was wrong though. i then put two Frank Chang discs under the front of the Caldera and a rubber damper on the back.
The difference that made was amazing, especially for the sound stage that got bigger, higher and more focussed. I know that small things can make a huge difference.

I fully agree with your approach.
Regarding Teflon capacitor, there was a nice set of measurements made by Conrad Hoffman.
It was showing that Teflon caps have good proprieties over regular Film Cap specially dissipation factor.
How that equals better sound I can't tell you.
True, you will have to hear it for your own and decide whether you like it or not.

P.S. I always loved Audio Physic, I thought they had a very, very nice wide soundstage and coherent sound.Listened to several of those in the past with Audio Note gear.

yeah I really liked the audio physic.
What I liked about them whas that some of them had a relative small footprint, but yet they had a very nice bass extention and presence but the most impressive at that time for me was the big and deep soundstage.
Sound was never harsh, with a kind of silky smoothness but yet detailed presentation on the highs.

Many thanks for that description. Yes, i think i got that magic sound stage thing right at the beginning. To arrive at a tonal balance that was agreeable in many countries i needed a bit longer. I think my designs from the early 80th where a bit bright. We compensated with warm sounding amps like the Musical Fidelity A1 on the budged side and the Theshold Stasis and early Mark Levinson on the high side. From 1989 on it got heavy involved into measurements when MLSSA came out. When i started Sonics in 2005 i got back more into listening and they had i think a somewhat warmer presentation. The speakers that i design for Canalis today are based on Sonics designs but have better cabinets ( from Bamboo ) and better wiring, hardware and better aprts in the crossover. The deluxe Anima has "drum roll" even teflon caps in it. I did not make that decision though, it was my american friends and partners.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.