Massive Audion GTX-104 design suggestion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Massive Audio GTX-104 design suggestion

Hi folks, I have gotten great feedback and help with subwoofer design on from folks here in the past so thank you. Long story short, I have a nice little system installed in my wife's Chevrolet traverse. Sealed 10 inch sub, amplifier etc......so I have this Massive Audio 10" driver sitting around to play with. I want to build something off the wall and crazy with it for her traverse. My initial thoughts are 4th order bandpass, 6th order bandpass .....with this high FS is this driver a horn candidate? I like the power handling, xmax and high efficiency. I should be able to make something with substantial output.

GTX104 - Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer – Massive Audio

FS49.8Sens88Cutout9.05inchDisp0.055Ft3XMAX15MMQTS0.61VAS6.7LTQMS5.87QES0.66LE0.91BL18.5

Last edited:
Did you only measure one voice coil? I can't get the parameters to jive with what you have posted unless the Re is 3.2 ohms, which means one voice coil instead of both was tested.

For my model, I halved your Qes, used my derived Re, and halved Le for a parallel arrangement. This does not bode well for a sealed box at all. I have a 1ft^3 box, but the vent is 4" x 28" long to tune about right, and that will be a shallow and long booger with the port running out the side. I can't get a sealed box or 4th bandpass to model well at all, and I modeled with 400W input. You could go bigger volume to shorten the length, but this is already too large, IMO, for a car sub.

Later,
Wolf

Hi Permo,ALL

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• MassiveAudio_GTX104.jpg
    MassiveAudio_GTX104.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 115
Hmm, I keep forgetting that this is the era of build to fit no matter how bad the alignment is, then digitally twiddle knobs till it sounds OK. Another thing I forgot in my quickie response is that the vent required for a low vent mach is large enough to be replaced with a passive radiator [PR].

GM

Hmm, I keep forgetting that this is the era of build to fit no matter how bad the alignment is, then digitally twiddle knobs till it sounds OK. Another thing I forgot in my quickie response is that the vent required for a low vent mach is large enough to be replaced with a passive radiator [PR].

GM

I dodn't mean to discount your input. I only use WINISD for my enclosure design at this point and the ported enclosure that I designed had a single four inch round port...it didn't give me any warnings about vent Mach. I am not doubting your expertise but wondering why Massive Audio would recommend this driver for ported alignment if its unreasonable....?

I dodn't mean to discount your input. I only use WINISD for my enclosure design at this point and the ported enclosure that I designed had a single four inch round port...it didn't give me any warnings about vent Mach. I am not doubting your expertise but wondering why Massive Audio would recommend this driver for ported alignment if its unreasonable....?

Wasn't directed to anyone in particular, just disgusted with consumer audio in general and mobile audio in particular. After all, I did note it needed to be a TQWT and was going to do one as time permitted, but bjorno beat me to it.

Mainstream consumer mobile audio apparently recommends what will fit in the worst case with no consideration for power handing, sound quality [SQ]. For sure, virtually no one in my locale with a woofer in a vehicle cares one whit about SQ.

Re WinISD, I haven't used it in a long time and then only the PRO and preferably its replacement with the most accuracy, features, both of which will calc vent mach if you tell them to [don't remember how to do it unfortunately]. You ideally want a < 5% mach [~17 m/sec]: WinISD - Linearteam

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.