MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hehe. For the time expended and the results I am inclined to veneer instead. I wanted to have some nice looking BB layers come together at the top of a set I just built. It didn't end up being worth the hassle. BUT, I think I ended up with a better handle on making precise cuts on a table saw.

Kyle

I tried Veneer on an earlier project. I just don't like, can't get the results - seems that my technique is not good enough and I get delamination several months later which I can't afford as these speakers are for somebody else. Oh well.

So, today was aimed at the driver cut-outs. If you read the data sheet you will know that the driver rebate needs to allow for the gasket, 8mm depth from the front baffle surface in total.

Unfortunately the required radius was the same as the size of my router base - meaning that the pivot point wasn't accessible because it was directly under the solid part of the base of my router. I didn't want to drill a hole in my router base. So I had to fit a false wooden base to the router and drill a blind hole in the wood for a pivot point around which to rotate the router. You can just see the blind holes in picture 1. One is just the right distance for cutting out the driver rebate, the other is closer to the centre point and is designed for the cut-out that goes all the way through the baffle.

I drilled a pivot hole in the workpiece and left the drill bit embedded in it, to act as the pivot as shown in the 2nd picture (ignore the pencil lines, the pivot point is in the right spot !)

Finished is shown in 3rd picture. Dry fitting the driver shows the holes to be the right size, although I still need to file out a chamfer on the backside to allow the driver some breathing room.

Attachments

• blid holes in router template.JPG
    blid holes in router template.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 769
  • drill bit as router guide.JPG
    drill bit as router guide.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 744
  • finished cut-outs.JPG
    finished cut-outs.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:
well, I figure lots of holes in the brace is best, but leave enough wood between them to ensure strength.

Anyhow, today I...

routed some relief for the back of the driver around the opening so that it can breath better

finished adding cleats for the bottom (pic 1)

lined top half of box with felt (pic2)

installed speaker wire and poly batting for stuffing in top half of the line (pic3)

Attachments

• add stuffing.JPG
    add stuffing.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 317
  • add felt.JPG
    add felt.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 290
  • add cleats for btm.JPG
    add cleats for btm.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 287
So the stuffing is done. And the backs have been glued on. The sides at the back have been routed flush. Holes were cut for the terminal cups and a wire put in before gluing the backs on of course.

Now just routing the bottom edges uniform before cutting the breathing slots.

Attachments

• routing the bottom flush.JPG
    routing the bottom flush.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 686
So I finished the bottom pieces with 2" plastic pipe. I cut the lengths to around 5.5 inches - being a compromise between the EL-70 and CHR-70.

I held the speakers upside down to saw for the breathing slots, cutting to the depth needed minus radius of my router bit. Then I used a finishing router bit to route the breathing slots, using the screwed on bottom pieces as a guide for the router bit.

Now the basic construction is done - next step is sanding, tidying up, staining and varnishing.

Attachments

• clamp to saw btm.JPG
    clamp to saw btm.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 678
  • saw cuts in btm.JPG
    saw cuts in btm.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 670
  • basic construction done.JPG
    basic construction done.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 674
Thanks Sippy!

Well they are now in song.

And for the first time I understand why people rave about the bass of these drivers ! :yes:

The photo shows the Martello-2's flanking my new Big'un speaker. They don't compare with the AN15, but they do a very good job of it.

I'm not sure I'll need to be doing any tweaking.

This could be a case of "It's a wrap!" :D

Attachments

• Martello2 and Bigun.JPG
    Martello2 and Bigun.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 439
I used a guide, a piece of wood clamped on top of the piece I was cutting and ran the edge of the baseplate of my circular saw along this guide. But you know, the slightest wobble of the saw and the cut is slightly off. Over a 30+ inch long joint you have to be spot-0n for two of these 45degree edged planks to make perfectly. So, I'm afraid my workmanship just ain't up to it !!! - but following-up with the router made things 99% good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.